nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Thinking about SuSE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111558)

Shamrock 04-11-08 09:31 PM

Thinking about SuSE

Does SuSE use rpm or deb package managers?

I really hate RPM's

Redeemed 04-12-08 12:33 PM

Re: Thinking about SuSE

Ubuntu is where it's at. :cool:

trik1 06-24-08 09:19 AM

In answer to your question they use rpm's. I have used both Ubuntu and OpenSuse quite a bit , and as of Opensuse 11 I really cant tell much difference in speed or stability of the package systems. To me it really doesn't matter rpm or deb, I simply use the Package manager for 99% of my installs anyway so I never see it. On the occasion I do both have installers to handle their respected files.

matthew.m 06-25-08 11:06 AM

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate RPMs so much?

The one thing about suse that I've found really nice is yast. It's a graphical configuration for lots of different system config files, services, etc. I'd recommend at least giving it a shot.

grey_1 06-27-08 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 1625201)
Does SuSE use rpm or deb package managers?

I really hate RPM's

As has been said, package managers make all the difference these days. You likely wuldn't notice much difference using synaptic in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, or other.

The great thing about Linux is your choice isn't bound by money. I've been known to dl 5 different distros in a week, play with them all until I find my personal taste.

Shamrock 06-27-08 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 1696180)
As has been said, package managers make all the difference these days. You likely wuldn't notice much difference using synaptic in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, or other.

The great thing about Linux is your choice isn't bound by money. I've been known to dl 5 different distros in a week, play with them all until I find my personal taste.

If you will look at the thread date, it was back in April :p Wanna try downloading 5 distros on dialup? :cry:

I dislike RPM's because "back in the day" ( I know, times have changed). I had Red Hat 7.2 Had so many frickin' dependencies my dialup couldn't take it :( That's not counting the destroyed purchases I had to replace because I got so upset at it.

Never had that problem with debs, even when I had the Debian distro (it rocked!). I do understand that nowadays the package managers are good, I still believe debs are more supported.

Although, I saw a pic last night of the new OpenSuSE 11.0 and it looks..well...the best interface I've ever seen, that includes Vista.

bacon12 06-27-08 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 1696571)
If you will look at the thread date, it was back in April :p Wanna try downloading 5 distros on dialup? :cry:

I dislike RPM's because "back in the day" ( I know, times have changed). I had Red Hat 7.2 Had so many frickin' dependencies my dialup couldn't take it :( That's not counting the destroyed purchases I had to replace because I got so upset at it.

Never had that problem with debs, even when I had the Debian distro (it rocked!). I do understand that nowadays the package managers are good, I still believe debs are more supported.

Although, I saw a pic last night of the new OpenSuSE 11.0 and it looks..well...the best interface I've ever seen, that includes Vista.

It's ok, but there are things I don't really like. Mandravia is where it's at right now IMHO.