nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Creative XFi software lacks distance comp and EQ for analog out? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111644)

Pixelsmack 04-13-08 06:03 PM

Creative XFi software lacks distance comp and EQ for analog out?

I am seeing ZERO options in the Creative supplied software for speaker calibration. Even with their so called THX software installed. I see no Re-Eq, no distance compensation or level tweaking. This can't be right.

If I am pumping 7.1 analog out to my Onkyo I need to have the audio levels processed so it's balanced. As with most AV receivers their analog input is ignored by their on board processing (THX, Audessey, etc).

Creative's old Audigy used to have such tools, heck I think even the on board HD Audio has it.

Any ideas?

crainger 04-13-08 06:32 PM

Re: Creative XFi software lacks distance comp and EQ for analog out?

Vista or XP?

Pixelsmack 04-13-08 07:22 PM

Vista.

The best I've been able to do is use the provided THX software to manual set distance. But this is highly subjective. What they use to have was an application that would take you through and plays sound files so you could more accurately set up the audio.

And I guess any of the 'official' THX processing options are just non existant.

crainger 04-13-08 07:56 PM

AS I thought.

This is where Creative have come under fire. Their software for Vista does not include all the extra feature as under XP. No THX, no DD/DTS decoding. There are 'hacked' drivers out there, but even they don't add all the THX options the cards had under XP. You're only solution is to go back to XP, I doubt even the X-FI2 will have the THX configuration options.

CaptNKILL 04-13-08 07:59 PM

I don't know what software I'm using but I have the THX console with distance adjustments and EQ in Vista. I've had it for like 8 months...

crainger 04-13-08 08:15 PM

Well thank you for sharing it CaptNKILL. You knew we were struggling out here without it and you kept it all to yourself?! ::(:

You off my friends list... Now you'll just be another user, no little + sign like Beagle and nekrosoft.

CaptNKILL 04-13-08 08:33 PM

You've kept secrets too! Don't pretend you haven't! :cry:

Anyway, its been so long since I installed this stuff that I can't remember where I got it or what I did. I know I've updated my drivers since then though, so whatever it is, its compatible with the latest X-Fi updates.

I'd check torrent sites for a Vista X-Fi driver CD image. I remember finding something that way, and that's probably what I'm using.

crainger 04-13-08 08:38 PM

Hope it helps Pixelsmack.

I prefer a lean running gaming PC, so I only have the default Audio Console installed. No THX crap, No laggy control centres. My 5500z and 680zs are all THX rated and controlled so I let them manage levels and bass redirection.