nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112222)

brady 04-24-08 11:43 AM

Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
What the title says. I'm currently using the stock HSF. I set the FSB to 333mhz so I have 9x333 for 3.0ghz and my idle temps were in the mid-upper 50's. Load temps got into the low-mid 70's. That seems hot.

I haven't done any serious overclocking since my Thunderbird days. It was fun to go from 11820 in 3Dmark06 to 13230 with an overclock to 3.0ghz and I'm sure with proper cooling I could get a lot more out of that CPU.

LT.Schaffer 04-24-08 11:57 AM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme:)

My Q6600 is B3 stepping and it keeps it nice and cool.

brady 04-24-08 12:18 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
I've been reading some reviews and it seems pretty popular. Thanks for the recommendation.

LT.Schaffer 04-24-08 02:24 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
no problem always glad to help out a fellow gamer:)

john19055 04-25-08 01:56 AM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
I use the Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme with a Silverstone fan and it keeps my Q6600 nice and cool,but it is a little pricey,but if you want to overclock IMO it is one of the best HS.

xmichaeluk 04-25-08 02:03 AM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Scythe Ninja :)

brady 04-26-08 11:31 AM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Just bought the Ultra 120 Extreme with the Scythe fan. Should get here next week some time. My temps are simply way too hot. Currently at stock speeds my temps average 47C idle and 69 load. With an OC to 3.0ghz I average 55C idle/72C load. Since the difference between the stock and OC temps are not that great I image that I'll be able to get a pretty nice OC with decent cooling. I'm excited.

Redeemed 04-26-08 11:54 AM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brady
Just bought the Ultra 120 Extreme with the Scythe fan. Should get here next week some time. My temps are simply way too hot. Currently at stock speeds my temps average 47C idle and 69 load. With an OC to 3.0ghz I average 55C idle/72C load. Since the difference between the stock and OC temps are not that great I image that I'll be able to get a pretty nice OC with decent cooling. I'm excited.

Hey, I know this is off topic but I'm just curious... how well does Leopard run on your rig? Did you encounter any driver issues?

brady 04-26-08 02:43 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Hey, I know this is off topic but I'm just curious... how well does Leopard run on your rig? Did you encounter any driver issues?

It runs fantastic so far as I can tell. Everything worked on first boot with the installation I used with the exception of the sound. It took all of 2 minutes to get the sound working, including digital out.

Redeemed 04-26-08 04:44 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brady
It runs fantastic so far as I can tell. Everything worked on first boot with the installation I used with the exception of the sound. It took all of 2 minutes to get the sound working, including digital out.

I've been wanting to get a copy just to experiment with it. Is there a 64-bit version available? And don't you have to purchase some hardware (isn't it only sold OEM) with it or is it available "retail"?

tjohn 04-26-08 04:46 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for sure! You could get the new Black Edition :)

brady 05-03-08 07:14 PM

Re: Recommend a HSF for my Q6600 G0. I want to start overclocking like a big boy.
 
Ultra 120 Extreme + Scythe 120mm FTW! I'm very happy with this cooling solution. Thanks for the recommendation everyone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.