nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Adds (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112948)

Mr Bigman 05-08-08 08:31 PM

Adds

I know alot of these sights rely on adds for some reason, but isn't their any other form of revenew besides adds to help pay for sites.

I had a site in the late 90's about trucks and had no adds at all.

evox 05-08-08 10:49 PM

Re: Adds

There are donations. But you obviously can't expect a reputable tier-3 hardware review site to run donations, can you? There wasn't much internet in late 90s.

Nowadays, dedicated hosting solutions are expensive. Especially for a site that receives high traffic like nVnews. Overtime, the maintenance and other associated costs spike up considerably, ads are the only option to reimburse the investments going in.

ViN86 05-08-08 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
I know alot of these sights rely on adds for some reason, but isn't their any other form of revenew besides adds to help pay for sites.

I had a site in the late 90's about trucks and had no adds at all.

i doubt your site had the bandwidth usage that this site has.

i dont mean to be rude, but it's very disrespectful to come to this site for free, then complain about ads. i mean, if you want to pay for the bandwidth and space costs, then you wont have to look at the ads.

i remember mikec talking about what it costs to run this site for a month, so i have no problem whatsoever looking at ads. tbh, if he ever cant cover the costs, i encourage him to place more ads.

ragejg 05-08-08 11:48 PM

Ads - Ay Dee Ess. Ads.

Sites - Ess Eye Tee Eee Ess. Sites.

Revenue - Are Eee Vee Eee En You Eee. Revenue.

:p

evox 05-09-08 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86
i doubt your site had the bandwidth usage that this site has.

i dont mean to be rude, but it's very disrespectful to come to this site for free, then complain about ads. i mean, if you want to pay for the bandwidth and space costs, then you wont have to look at the ads.

i remember mikec talking about what it costs to run this site for a month, so i have no problem whatsoever looking at ads. tbh, if he ever cant cover the costs, i encourage him to place more ads.

I remember MikeC saying he rented a server from ThePlanet. ThePlanet's dedicated solutions are EXPENSIVE.

Come to think of it, I wonder how many GBs nVnews uses up in a month.

For the sake of the "ads" argument, let's assume he's using the cheapest dedicated package with 750GB BW and $89 monthly price, that means $89x12 plus the pay (?) he gives out to reviewers. That's $1k and more, just for his personal interest.

Ofcourse, in reality, it's probably more than that. nVnews's Alexa rating is <20k so the site is getting millions of page views. I doubt 750GB BW would be enough to cut it.

Q 05-09-08 03:08 PM

I've been noticing a lot of subtracts on the website.

LORD-eX-Bu 05-09-08 04:01 PM

****ing multiples.

Mr Bigman 05-09-08 04:38 PM

Im sayint this site alone, but the web itself relys to much on adds.

Yea i didn't get very much traffic at all and i used hosting done at home and it was mostly a site for those who want to post pics and had the coffee shop where truckers go to talk about their runs and also chat with family through webchat.

Their wasn't no need for adds cuz at that time, it was cheap to have a site.

CaptNKILL 05-10-08 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg
Ads - Ay Dee Ess. Ads.

Sites - Ess Eye Tee Eee Ess. Sites.

Revenue - Are Eee Vee Eee En You Eee. Revenue.

:p

:rofl

|MaguS| 05-10-08 04:44 PM

MikeC should start an ad free service, you pay monthly or yearly to remove ads for yourself. Kinda like gamespot and IGN... I would pay for it. :o

crainger 05-10-08 05:54 PM

You should pay me to stop spamming.

|MaguS| 05-11-08 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger
You should pay me to stop spamming.

I don't have that much money.