nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nforce2 with Matrox G550? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11295)

mateu 05-05-03 01:55 PM

nforce2 with Matrox G550?

Hi,

I run Debian Linux testing (sarge), 2.4.20-6 kernel.

I had a 2-yr-old Abit motherboard die (north bridge chip fan died, chip overheated, dead board. Thanks Abit!), so I went in search of something reliable. Heard good things about Epox on the web and from the guy at Fry's so I got one, with AMD 2000 chip, 512MB DDR. Put it all together, it booted, so far so good.

But no X. I read through dmesg, see the agpgart errors, went searching, and I see there's source for the nforce2 chip. Good of you to provide source! If you did that for your graphics cards, I would consider them.

Then I see the FAQ answer that there's no 3D support for non-Nvidia cards. I don't play games so I don't care about 3D support. Does this driver support 2D graphics for a Matrox card?

thanks in advance,
Matt

Andy Mecham 05-05-03 08:38 PM

You'll want to use the appropriate XFree86 driver for your Matrox card. The platform drivers for the nForce2 have no bearing on video, other than the AGPGART patch.

--andy

mateu 05-05-03 09:22 PM

Andy wrote:

>> You'll want to use the appropriate XFree86
>> driver for your Matrox card. The platform drivers
>> for the nForce2 have no bearing on video,
>> other than the AGPGART patch.

Sorry, I phrased the question poorly. You answered what I meant to ask, "Will the AGPGART code in the nForce2 make X work on my Matrox again?"

thanks!
Matt

Andy Mecham 05-05-03 11:36 PM

I don't see any reason it won't work for you now - I don't think the standard 2D Matrox driver uses any sort of AGP, and if it does, it should be easily disabled.

--andy

mateu 05-06-03 11:44 AM

Troubles continue...

The standard Matrox driver does use AGP, but it looks like there's a framebuffer driver as well--is that what you meant?

I tried turning off AGP, but left DRI on, and the framebuffer code as modules, and still no luck. This morning I started configuring with AGP and DRI off, and the fb code included (not as a module), but I didn't have time before work. We'll see about that tonight.

Also, where is the agpgart patch you mention? I assumed it would be in the source tarball, but all I see is code for audio and network.

Finally, I'm curious--how likely is AGP support for non-nVidia cards?

thanks again,
Matt

Andy Mecham 05-06-03 02:09 PM

Quote:

Also, where is the agpgart patch you mention? I assumed it would be in the source tarball, but all I see is code for audio and network.

Finally, I'm curious--how likely is AGP support for non-nVidia cards?
It will be a part of the next nForce driver release. It's also been given to the AGPGART maintainer, so it should be in a kernel soon.

The patch will enable AGPGART support for nForce/nForce2; it's not card specific.

--andy

mateu 05-06-03 05:50 PM

me> Also, where is the agpgart patch you mention?

you> It will be a part of the next nForce driver release.

great news! otherwise I was starting to think I was going to have to return this motherboard...

I'll post whatever I learn from the Matrox framebuffer experiment, since if that works, it's good news for anyone looking at any nForce motherboard...

thanks again,
Matt

mateu 05-07-03 06:09 PM

WORKING!

Hi,

So that the next person doesn't have to struggle with this like I did...

How to get the Matrox G550 working with an nForce2 board....

Your comment about AGP & the errors I saw from startx got me thinking that I was looking in the wrong place. So I looked at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Sure enough, when I commented out the line:

Option "AGPMode" "4"

and changed the lines (2 head card, so there were two lines in my file):

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

to:

BusID "PCI:2:0:0"

it worked! For some odd reason, it appears I have to switch to a text console and back to the X (Alt-F7) screen before I see anything, but otherwise, it appears everything works, and you were right, I didn't need AGP.

thanks for your help,
Matt