nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Ampliphier question... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112957)

Redeemed 05-09-08 02:08 AM

Ampliphier question...

Just seeking a little clarification on something. On an ampliphier (stereo, surround, doesn't matter), the wattage listed on the back... is that the output wattage or the wattage the amp draws from the wall? I've been under the impression that is the wattage drawn from the wall, just curious if that is correct or not.

Thanks! :D

Serrasalmus 05-09-08 02:31 AM

Re: Ampliphier question...

that depends on what its talking about some say both on the back label woth the serial and model number

RaidenWoW 05-09-08 05:28 AM

Do a google search on "ampliphier" and then look at what it suggests.

npras42 05-09-08 05:41 AM

Hah, this thread is about 7th on the list!

Redeemed: Its amplifier, not ampliphier lol. What does the wattage actually say? If its like 2x20W or something like that then it means the max power that it can supply to the speakers. If it just say something like Max Power 400W then it could be either the power draw or output, I'm not sure.

Aurthus 05-09-08 08:47 AM

The wattage rating on nearly all amps is for the output power. Beware though as many companies use the peak rating (initial power spike when powering on the amp) so they can advertise there product with a large watt rating.

RMS ratings are much closer to actual performance wattage.

Sazar 05-09-08 09:00 AM

"ampliphier"

:rofl

Dammit it redeemed, when are we going to play Unreal again so you can teach me to spel inglis :afro:

Redeemed 05-09-08 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar
"ampliphier"

:rofl

Dammit it redeemed, when are we going to play Unreal again so you can teach me to spel inglis :afro:

lol

Yeah, it was kinda' late when I made this thread... spelling really wasn't what I was concerned about I suppose. :(

Anyhow, so usually the wattage stated on the back is the actual output wattage (peak)? Hmm... I didn't know that. Thanks. :D

CaptNKILL 05-09-08 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
lol

Yeah, it was kinda' late when I made this thread... spelling really wasn't what I was concerned about I suppose. :(

Anyhow, so usually the wattage stated on the back is the actual output wattage (peak)? Hmm... I didn't know that. Thanks. :D

Yeah, just be careful with that number. If it seems too good to be true (ie, 1000w on a $50 sony amp) it is most likely the peak power, and therefor, pretty much useless. The amp could overheat after putting out 250W for a minute or two but they rate it at 1000W because it can take that for 1 millisecond without blowing up.

This is why no high quality amps or speakers tell you the "peak" power.

Redeemed 05-09-08 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Yeah, just be careful with that number. If it seems too good to be true (ie, 1000w on a $50 sony amp) it is most likely the peak power, and therefor, pretty much useless. The amp could overheat after putting out 250W for a minute or two but they rate it at 1000W because it can take that for 1 millisecond without blowing up.

This is why no high quality amps or speakers tell you the "peak" power.

Hmm... thanks. Seems I have a bit of research to do then. I'm interested in getting one of two (or maybe even both) amps... one is a Yamaha and the other is an Onkyo.

Buckeye 05-09-08 06:27 PM

The rated Watts of a an amp is its rated output power, not what it draws from the plug, it could be more.

Example: if you connect 4 or 2 ohm speakers to a amp that has 8 ohm you will get 2 or 4 times the output level, meaning very loud music :) Warning: Doing that could damage amp and speakers.

There are many things to consider when looking at amps besides just the watt output. What load is it designed for, what is the power supply made of.

This is a good read.
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...s-buying-guide

Even if you had a 1,000 Watt Amp, would it sound good or just distort out when played at high volume.

Redeemed 05-09-08 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye
The rated Watts of a an amp is its rated output power, not what it draws from the plug, it could be more.

Example: if you connect 4 or 2 ohm speakers to a amp that has 8 ohm you will get 2 or 4 times the output level, meaning very loud music :) Warning: Doing that could damage amp and speakers.

There are many things to consider when looking at amps besides just the watt output. What load is it designed for, what is the power supply made of.

This is a good read.
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...s-buying-guide

Even if you had a 1,000 Watt Amp, would it sound good or just distort out when played at high volume.

Thanks. :D

I'm pretty familiar with Ohms, db ratings, SNR, etc. Not a professional by any means though. Very good read! I'll have to give it more of a go once I have a bit more time. :)

BronzeGod 05-18-08 04:22 AM

Redeemed. You must now redeem yourself from this spellFAIL :bleh: