nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   I hate Blu-Ray... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113082)

Zeta 05-12-08 07:00 AM

I hate Blu-Ray...

Now that HD-DVD is "dead" I got a Blu-Ray player. I know HD-DVD is gone and not coming back but it was so much better. Yes, I know, this is just my opinion.

Revs 05-12-08 07:10 AM

Re: I hate Blu-Ray...

Care to elaborate? :)

Toss3 05-12-08 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta
Now that HD-DVD is "dead" I got a Blu-Ray player. I know HD-DVD is gone and not coming back but it was so much better. Yes, I know, this is just my opinion.

Yep HD DVD WAS better, but blu-ray is getting better and will become better than hd dvd ever could be. :)

seeker 05-12-08 09:49 AM

I can't afford one now, so I guess it doesn't matter too much, but I was wondering if a Blu-Ray drive has the ability to read a disk for a regular old DVD? I have an awful lot of movies that I would hate not to be able to use.

nekrosoft13 05-12-08 10:37 AM

yes, blu-ray drives can read DVD and CD

XDanger 05-12-08 03:08 PM

Blu-Ray rom drives are getting cheaper every day,

not low enough for me yet though.

seeker 05-12-08 03:46 PM

I did a brief check on some Blu-Rays, and although they have plenty of capacity, they weren't all that fast either reading or writing. Perhaps there are better, but one that I looked at only would write Blu-ray at 2X. With 25GBs of capacity, that would take quite a while to burn one disk. I'll stick with my 20X DVD burner, until lthey improve.

wwec 05-12-08 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker
I did a brief check on some Blu-Rays, and although they have plenty of capacity, they weren't all that fast either reading or writing. Perhaps there are better, but one that I looked at only would write Blu-ray at 2X. With 25GBs of capacity, that would take quite a while to burn one disk. I'll stick with my 20X DVD burner, until lthey improve.

There's no correlation between 2x BD-R and 20x DVD-R, like there isn't between CD-R and DVD-R.

1x in Blu-Ray spec is 36mbit/s, so 2x would be 9MB/s - or about 8x DVD-R speed. I'm currently using 4x discs which happily burn and verify at around 18MB/s, not too slouchy in my opinion :)

Lyme 05-12-08 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3
Yep HD DVD WAS better, but blu-ray is getting better and will become better than hd dvd ever could be. :)

That will be version 4 or 5? Will the PS3 be the only product future capable?

Medion 05-21-08 09:09 AM

I agree that, initially, HD-DVD was better, but BR will be better as a result of it. I was originally rooting for HD-DVD because Toshiba had done very well with it. I'll elaborate.

HD-DVD 1.0 profile had everything. If you buy the first HD-DVD player released, the A1, it will run any HD-DVD movie out today without a hitch. Every HD-DVD player had an ethernet port.

By comparison, ethernet ports aren't a BR requirement until profile 2.0. None of the existing stand-alone players can be upgraded to profile 2.0 except the PS3. There will be movies that will have issues running on launch BR players. Basically, the HD-DVD spec was "finalized" before launching, whereas Blu-Ray was rushed to market to compete.

In addition to this, HD-DVD had dual-layer ready to go on day one, whereas BR was only 25GB. Thankfully, BR is dual-layer now. Some early BR players have problems with layer transitions.

Also, the video codecs used in BR were inferior to that of HD-DVD, initially. They've expanded. In summary, the Blu-Ray we know today, and going forward, will be the best option because the presence HD-DVD forced them to make the platform better (codecs, getting the profiles updated, etc.). The losers in this, of course, are the early adopters of HD-DVD. However, early adopters of BR will also lose out as BR 2.0 movies come out, unless they bought a PS3 as their player..

crainger 05-21-08 10:40 PM

I miss HD-DVD, but no one can take them from me! Eventually I'll have to convert them to something else, like BD, or digital using my 360 HD-DVD drive, but till then I love HD-DVD. Now I know how those Beta guys feel. ::D:

I don't mind BD either, I find their menus a little easier to navigate, and the PS3 is a nice player.

Tygerwoody 05-30-08 10:52 AM

:udawg: at everyone who bought HD-DVD. It was doomed to fail the second it entered the marketplace.

Blu-Ray is so much easier to say than Ach Dee Dee Vee Dee