nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Overclocking E6300 browser shuts down (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113087)

musman 05-12-08 10:02 AM

Overclocking E6300 browser shuts down

I tried slightly overclocking my E6300 from 1.86GHz to 1.90GHz and all of my web browsers keep shutting down & I get an error report???

Thanks!

grey_1 05-12-08 11:20 AM

Re: Overclocking E6300 browser shuts down

Just by bumping the fsb a bit? What are your full specs? That's got to be a telltale sign of something else wrong.

musman 05-12-08 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Just by bumping the fsb a bit? What are your full specs? That's got to be a telltale sign of something else wrong.

Yea just a very small amount? Here is the best I can do for right now with my computer specks until I get home.

Windows XP

Motherbored: ASUS P5L-VM

RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1GB X 4 (windows XP only supports 3Gig I know)

Processor: E6300

Graphics Card: XFX Geforce 8600 XXX Edition

Hard drive: 7200rpm 140Gig

The rest I am not sure about till I get home.

Thank You :)

musman 05-12-08 12:01 PM

NOTE: This is my first time overclocking. The only this I did was bump up the FSB very slightly, I made NO other changes.

grey_1 05-12-08 01:29 PM

I would try stressing the cpu and mobo at default speeds. If it acts up you may have a faulty mobo or flakey bios.

I still have XP pro running on 4Gb ram and it over clocked pretty decent, except I have 2x2Gb. I hear 4x1Gb sticks can be hard on overclocking..maybe try with only 2Gb? That could be your issue.

ViN86 05-12-08 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musman
NOTE: This is my first time overclocking. The only this I did was bump up the FSB very slightly, I made NO other changes.

probably need more voltage.

musman 05-12-08 01:48 PM

Quote:

I would try stressing the cpu and mobo at default speeds. If it acts up you may have a faulty mobo or flakey bios.

I still have XP pro running on 4Gb ram and it over clocked pretty decent, except I have 2x2Gb. I hear 4x1Gb sticks can be hard on overclocking..maybe try with only 2Gb? That could be your issue.

What program would be good for stress testing?

grey_1 05-12-08 02:01 PM

Orthos is a good one.

Choose the small FFTs to stress cpu, or blend for cpu+ram. If your hardware is tight it should run no problem, but a bad stick of ram or anythng wrong really, will cause orthos to halt and give you an error message.

Warning though, this will stress your cpu to near max, so if you don't have good cooling, heat may be a concern.

Coretemp is a good temp monitor. Always good to keep an eye on it. If you see temps going over 60c while stressing, I would suggest stopping orthos.

musman 05-12-08 02:17 PM

Quote:

Orthos is a good one.

Choose the small FFTs to stress cpu, or blend for cpu+ram. If your hardware is tight it should run no problem, but a bad stick of ram or anythng wrong really, will cause orthos to halt and give you an error message.

Warning though, this will stress your cpu to near max, so if you don't have good cooling, heat may be a concern.

Coretemp is a good temp monitor. Always good to keep an eye on it. If you see temps going over 60c while stressing, I would suggest stopping orthos.

OK I will do that, Thank you very much!!!

grey_1 05-12-08 02:45 PM

You're welcome, I hope it winds up being something simple for you.

musman 05-12-08 02:53 PM

Quote:

You're welcome, I hope it winds up being something simple for you.

Me too! I'm new to this and it very hard searching through the sea of information out there.

grey_1 05-12-08 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musman
Me too! I'm new to this and it very hard searching through the sea of information out there.

Just keep posting what you find...bunch of knowledgeable guys here, someone will have an answer for you. ;)