nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Plasma or LCD? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113107)

LovingSticky 05-12-08 02:09 PM

Plasma or LCD?

I cannot decide between two FullHD TVs. First one is LCD TV - PHILIPS 47PFL7603D, 47" FullHD, and second one is FullHD plasma TV - SAMSUNG PS50A557. Both have exactly the same price, both are latest models, and both have different shortcommings.

I have narrowed down my search to these 2 models, but am stuck here... Which one would you choose?

lduguay 05-12-08 02:12 PM

Re: Plasma or LCD?

My Samsung 50in plasma sucked hard, it was worst piece of garbage i ever owned. I do not wish to remember the model number. Have you checked some of the Panasonics or Pioneers?

LovingSticky 05-12-08 02:15 PM

I pretty much checked everything market has to offer (in EU) for a given price, and I think these are 2 best choices (for me). I love how plasma can reproduce full "black" (I watch TV mostly in night), but I am afraid of reliability. LCDs have also lower power consumption.

I am inclined more to Philips 47" LCD btw.

Some more info:

PHILIPS 47PFL7603D
http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...10_AT_CONSUMER

SAMSUNG PS50A557
http://www.samsung.com/at/consumer/d...PS50A557S2FXXC

glObalist 05-12-08 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingSticky
but I am afraid of reliability.

Why don't you read some of the threads in this forum or AVS forums for that matter? There's a lot of threads on this subject.

Anyway, if you watch a lot of TV and movies, then plasma is a no brainer. Not recommended as a sole PC monitor though.

That said, I'm extremely happy with my 42" Panasonic Viera.

LovingSticky 05-12-08 03:28 PM

I will not use it with my PC (have Dell 30" 2560x1600 for that). 60% will be TV/DVD, 40% (?) XBox 360 gaming (via HDMI 1080p). Browsing forums / reviews is what I do last few days, but it has not answered my question.

GeeTeeEx 05-12-08 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay
My Samsung 50in plasma sucked hard, it was worst piece of garbage i ever owned. I do not wish to remember the model number. Have you checked some of the Panasonics or Pioneers?

Whoa, REALLY!?! lol... mine was aweeeeesome. =\ i guess it was ur model or ur specific unit that was kinda off, but the two samsung lcd and one samsung plasma were just OFF THE CHAIN! highly recommended.. sorry to hear about ur case though

LovingSticky 05-12-08 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay
Have you checked some of the Panasonics or Pioneers?

Much more expensive at 50" FullHD. I would have to go with 42" Panasonic or 37" Pioneer plasma instead of 50" Samsung plasma... Does not make sense to me (unless reliability is extremely different, which is not, I think).

Monolyth 05-12-08 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingSticky
Much more expensive at 50" FullHD. I would have to go with 42" Panasonic or 37" Pioneer plasma instead of 50" Samsung plasma... Does not make sense to me (unless reliability is extremely different, which is not, I think).

Yes this is true, also Pioneer is getting out of the Plasma industry, which is unfortunate because they had THE best plasma's. Reliability of Plasma's has changed dramatically, I believe they are over 60,000hrs with the latest gens.

Honestly I would spend a few weeks @avsforums and read-up on these models vs. some other models. With the new 2008 Sony & Samsung LCD's coming out you can bet to see some deals on the 2007 XBR5 & 71F models, might be something to look into, Sony & Samsung LCD's are the best on the market IMHO.

BTW I would try not to be drawn into the True/FullHD marketing hype...just call it the res/refresh you want (eg. 1080p), I only say this because a lot of companies have different slogans for HD (some mean 1080i, some mean 720p), it's better to be clear on exactly what you want. ;)

LovingSticky 05-12-08 05:48 PM

By FullHD I mean 1920x1080 aka 1080p, including support for 1:1 pixel mapping (for computer usage).

Samsung plasma should be ok for 100.000 hours.

One really bad thing about 50" Samsung plasma is 18p processing / color only, which means 6bits per channel -> dithering is used to simmulate full color depth. And even stranger thing is that, despite dithering, all review sites say color is actually very good.

E.g. PANASONIC TH-42PZ80E (42" only) has 24p color processing.

Greg 05-12-08 06:40 PM

A friend of mine just bought that Philips LCD after doing much research to find the best screen. He compared with Sony, Samsung, Sharp and panels from other manufacturers. I would choose the same.

bacon12 05-12-08 08:47 PM

I have that very model Phillips and grabbed it at Costco for a very good price. I like it very much, and would buy another for that price. ($1600)

KasuCode 05-12-08 10:04 PM

I love my Philips 47" Great picture. I did a ton of research before I did my purchase. Has everything I need. I have the following hooked up to it.

Fios HDDVR HDMI,
PS3 HDMI,
360 Componet,
Wii Componet,
PC HDMI,
PSP Componet,

Great picture, Great TV, Altho I got mine back when Bestbuy wanted $2500 for it.