nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   You may think I'm nuts, but processor upgrade to new .45 Quad makes a major differenc (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113359)

bobmitch 05-16-08 08:38 PM

You may think I'm nuts, but processor upgrade to new .45 Quad makes a major differenc

I upgraded the processor on my Asus P5E motherboard from the E6750 to the new Q9450 (both 2.66 GHZ, but two extra cores to work with). My old Crysis benchmark for fps at 1680 x 1050 was 22 fps on average. With the Quad core...ran the same benchmark and averaged over 36 fps. There is obviously a tweak in Crysis for Quad core. The only other change is that I am running Nvidia Forceware 175.16.

P5E with 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC8500
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Two WD 74 GB Raptors in RAID 0
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Pro
Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W PSU

SH64 05-16-08 08:42 PM

Re: You may think I'm nuts, but processor upgrade to new .45 Quad makes a major differenc

You are NUTS!!!

ok j/k :p i believe something else has changed that affected your score besides the CPU. i have a quad-core & never seen any usage beyond the single or at best the second core.

also which benchmark you are talking about ? the CPU or the GPU one ?

bobmitch 05-16-08 08:53 PM

Re: You may think I'm nuts, but processor upgrade to new .45 Quad makes a major differenc

GPU benchmark tool. I was dumbfounded. Let me explain something else that may help. With the Core 2 E6750, my processor usage was always up around 40% idle for some reason. With some research, I found that when running RAID of any kind on ICH8 or ICH9...that Vista had overhead. In XP...CPU usage never exceeded 3% idle. Now...with the Quad core processor...I am seeing 22% CPU usage (under normal circumstances the System and System Idle processes are to blame. Rather than keep every single item seperate and accountable, I am seeing a lot of different services run under one umbrella. Hard to check what ones are the biggest violators. Anyways...now that I have more CPU process left...things seem snappier. Perhaps something was holding Crysis back...not sure...but I know my fps are up and the game is smooth. Thinking of deleting all my saves and starting all over again...worth it...

Bob

SH64 05-16-08 09:00 PM

Yep that could be the reason. most likely you were held back by some apps in the background with the E6750 & now with the more cores you are running as you should.

i did a test myself for the CPU test on a E6700(2.66Ghz) , recoreded the score & then installed the Q6600(2.4Ghz) the score was a little less due to frequency difference then to make sure i ran Prime95 on 1 core & Toast on the second core & let the other 2 cores to handle Crysis CPU benchmark. guess what ? same score .. nothing changed.

Soetdjuret 05-16-08 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmitch
I upgraded the processor on my Asus P5E motherboard from the E6750 to the new Q9450 (both 2.66 GHZ, but two extra cores to work with). My old Crysis benchmark for fps at 1680 x 1050 was 22 fps on average. With the Quad core...ran the same benchmark and averaged over 36 fps.

:bs:

FastRedPonyCar 06-15-08 09:31 PM

Re: You may think I'm nuts, but processor upgrade to new .45 Quad makes a major diffe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soetdjuret (Post 1656865)
:bs:

+1 something in your settings is different becuase I just went from an E6600 @ 3.1ghz to a E8400 @ 3.9ghz and I'm benchmarking 32 fps with the identical settings/cvars/autoexe file where as previously I was getting an average of 27~28.