nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AGP 89MHz compatibility FX series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113387)

morbit 05-17-08 01:45 PM

AGP 89MHz compatibility FX series

Sorry about cross-posting but this board section is more suitable I think.

Overclocked AGP (89MHz) is must in my system.

I'm curious about your experience with FX cards at 89Mhz AGP, especially FX5500 256MB.
In past, none of ATI and only few of Nvidia cards could sustain it (most notably- GF2, Geforce256).

CaptNKILL 05-17-08 05:42 PM

Re: AGP 89MHz compatibility FX series

That's pretty high.

Just curious, why do you need to overclock your AGP bus?

morbit 05-17-08 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
That's pretty high.

Just curious, why do you need to overclock your AGP bus?

i440BX running P III EB

CaptNKILL 05-17-08 06:29 PM

Not sure what that means exactly.

Are you running the board at a higher FSB without a locked AGP bus?

morbit 05-17-08 06:33 PM

Yup.

i440BX have 1/1 and 2/3 AGP divider. I'm running 133FSB 2/3.

CaptNKILL 05-17-08 06:45 PM

I really have no idea how much extra AGP speed that thing can take. I don't think I've ever overclocked a board that couldn't lock the AGP and PCI buses.

You can either risk it and try it or just bump your fsb down a notch and underclock your CPU.

Either way, with stuff that old there isn't really any huge risk.

morbit 05-17-08 07:03 PM

There is no problem with PCI bus, luckily there is divider giving 33,25Mhz PCI. Furthermore, I'm not going to sacrifice RAM and CPU just to use particular graphic card.

I have now Geforce2, and I'm willing to buy another one, passive coolled or passive FX5500 256MB. That's why I'm curious about it. That's my second box, it's running on FreeBSD fine, just too noisy, especially my first system is quite sound dampened.

CaptNKILL 05-17-08 07:08 PM

I'd give it a try. Just toss the 5500 in and use the system for a bit. Check for any artifacts or problems.

If it looks alright and its stable after a couple hours it'll probably be ok. If its artifacting or freezing, take it out immediately.

morbit 05-17-08 07:20 PM

Erm.. Thanks for help, but I already know it :)

It's not like it's going to fry graphic card either, system will just be stable or not.

I'm asking for personal experience to save me from mess of buying/selling cards that will not cut it.

Nonetheless, thanks for time and insight, on other board I was spammed by "Buy ATI", "Buy GeForce3", "FX series card will not work on AGP 2X board", and other replies completely missing the point.

(ATI never made a card withstanding AGP overclock, furthermore there is no drivers for FreeBSD, GeForce3 was very AGP speed sensitive, and FX series cards works fine in AGP 2X slots.)

CaptNKILL 05-17-08 09:23 PM

No problem. I doubt anyone else here has any experience with an FX5500 on a 440BX, I just figured I'd give some input.