nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Asus update utility in vista! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113585)

ATOJAR 05-22-08 12:48 AM

Asus update utility in vista!

I was reading another forum when i guy asked the best way to update his asus motherboard in vista, most people where saying use Ez flash, i said why not just use asus update utility? ... somebody said using the asus update utility in vista is a easy way to wipe eeprom & kill the board! .... is this true? is using the asus update utility in vista unsafe?(i used it afew times when i was on xp with no issues) if so why do asus allow you to download the asus update utility for vista when it could kill your board?

ragejg 05-22-08 02:05 AM

Re: Asus update utility in vista!

use it, jus tmake sure you're fully an admin.... temporarily kill your firewall, install teh program as admin in compatibility mode, adn run it as admin in compatibility mode.

I did it and got a very new bios, and it worked great.

David power 05-22-08 02:15 AM

I updated my board in Vista 64bit and I didnt mess up my board. I must have been lucky.

ATOJAR 05-22-08 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David power
I updated my board in Vista 64bit and I didnt mess up my board. I must have been lucky.

Personally i think its safe! its a 99% chance that somebody has used the asus update utility in vista and its killed there board(just by chance & maby alittle unlucky)! ..... hes mentioned this on a forum and thats it ... its pread like wildfire across then net! ... i will continue to use asus update utility in vista!

Amuro 05-22-08 06:37 AM

UAYOR, but check out the Asus forums for the sticky warning post before you use it. I'd use ez-flash with an USB flash drive. Better safe than sorry.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

JaxMacFL 05-22-08 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATOJAR
I was reading another forum when i guy asked the best way to update his asus motherboard in vista, most people where saying use Ez flash, i said why not just use asus update utility? ... somebody said using the asus update utility in vista is a easy way to wipe eeprom & kill the board! .... is this true? is using the asus update utility in vista unsafe?(i used it afew times when i was on xp with no issues) if so why do asus allow you to download the asus update utility for vista when it could kill your board?

Yeah, ez flash and a flash drive is the safest way to go. I just download the latest bios and unzip it directly into my flash drive. Reboot and hit alt + f2 at first post. Just be sure your flash drive is formatted in FAT32 and remember it will show up as 'B:\' in the ez flash program; it always has for me anyway.

Yaboze 05-22-08 08:02 AM

I use the bios boot ezflash and a flash drive, I have heard too many stories of that app killing mbs.

Badboy_12345 05-22-08 08:38 AM

I have always used asus update utility and never had a problem.

Buckeye 05-22-08 08:42 AM

It killed my Striker MB one night. Man it was a pain to get it back going.

After that I will always use a floppy/USB/CD

mailman2 05-22-08 08:42 AM

Toss the bios on a flash drive, boot up Alt F2. Never failed me. My games crash stll in Vista, no way in hell I'd flash a bios in Vista its just not reliable enough for me to trust it yet :p

Amuro 05-22-08 08:55 AM

You can access ez-flash under Tools in BIOS as well, if you don't remember alt-f2.

stefan9 05-22-08 09:19 AM

I have always used ez flash. Heard too many bad stories about the windows utility and this isn't just in vista, people have had issues using it in xp as well.