nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Motherboard chipset fan failed (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113613)

AthlonXP1800 05-22-08 03:56 PM

Motherboard chipset fan failed

I powered up the PC 2 hours ago, the BIOS warned the chipset fan failed, waited 15 mins to see if the fan kick started but no sign of life. Shutdown the PC and switched off the electricity, opened the case, poked to push the chipset fan spinned and used the air duster spray to cleared off the dust in the chipset then turned on the PC and the chipset fan still failed.

I believed the chipset fan finally died, checked the RivaTuner temp monitor, the chipset temp is around 45c at idle. Should I be concern if I play games at full load if the chipset fan do not spinning at all? I am not planning to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU until Nehalem with hybrid SLi motherboard later this year. Cant be arse to take everything apart and replace with a new chipset fan.

XDanger 05-22-08 04:04 PM

Re: Motherboard chipset fan failed

Dremel it off.

Dazz 05-22-08 04:05 PM

It is a bit of a consern really as 45C is quite hot for a chipset, you can expect it to reach 55C atleast, although technically in limits but on the outta side of them limits. About 60C is about the max.

grey_1 05-22-08 04:19 PM

Any way you can temp mount another fan? Having any decent airflow across the sink should help quite a bit.

XDanger 05-23-08 02:16 PM

its a very awkward design to remove the nb fan without taking the thing apart, or crushing the push pins

Strap another fan on top and hope for the best.

Personally I'd take out the mobo though, its not that much hassle.

Medion 05-24-08 10:51 AM

You still using ASUS A8N-E? If so, this is a COMMON problem. Mine has died several times.

First, see if your fan can be removed without removing the mobo. The old revision fan requires you to remove the pins from underneath, but the new one can be taken off from the top, without moving the mobo.

If you have the old revision fan, call ASUS, go straight to their RMA department (skip customer service, they'll try to charge you), tell them your fan died, and they'll send you the new revision.

Now, if you already have the old revision, you're straight. Just remove the fan. Blow it out well with canned air (these fans are weak, so any resistance from dust clogs them up). Hit the fan's center with WD-40. Blow it off again with canned air. Place back in your mobo and enjoy. Preferably, scrape off the base and add some new thermal compound to it.

It's ok if the fan isn't 100% dry. WD-40 isn't conductive, so if a few drops get on your mobo, no harm no foul :)

MasterAlex 05-24-08 10:03 PM

liquid cooling FTW!!!(nana2)

dxx 05-24-08 10:46 PM

...or just blue-tak a spare case fan over the heatsink. Not the most refined method of repair, I grant you, but the cheapest, quickest, and by a long way, the most convenient.

Zapablast05 05-24-08 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterAlex
liquid cooling FTW!!!(nana2)

The day you spring a leak is the day you'll regret saying this :p.