nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When will we see DVD based games? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1137)

thcdru2k 08-25-02 05:09 PM

when will we see dvd games

remember when dvds first came out, and it was all about the extra space provided of 4.7gb that games would be better. how come we still haven't seen any dvd games of any good quality. considering they are beginning to put pc games on 2 cd, why not on dvd. when do you think dvd games will start being made. i'm pretty sure all these textures and videos maybe doom3 could make use of dvd. ps2 and xbox already have dvd games why not the pc.

StealthHawk 08-25-02 05:22 PM

if you want a real answer, here it is:

1) not everyone has a DVD-ROM. believe it or not, most OEM computers in the high end have been shipping with DVD drives for some time. i'm pretty sure that trend hs trickled down to the midrange and lowend by now. last year two friends built themselves computers and did NOT buy DVD drives. they later replaced their cd-rom drives with DVD drives. most people with vintage computers TNT2/V3 era almost certainly did not come with DVDs. developers are still making games that support these cards

2) expense. 2 CDs are much cheaper than 1 DVD. you can buy 100 cds for the price of one DVD-R(W?). cds cost nothing to produce, DVDs do.

3) need. we hardly need to use DVDs when most games are still only using 1-2 CDs.

4) until DVD-RW drives become more popular, and every computer has a DVD drive, don't hold your breath for DVD games. it would help if the medium were mass produced more too

PCarr78 08-25-02 06:12 PM

But how long has the pc/dvd been around now? 4 years? more?

The medium STILL hasn't been used for any purpose besides movies.

It doesn't actually make sense to buy a dvd drive now. But it would if companies would smarten up.

Visual Studio .net comes on SEVEN, count'em SEVEN CDs. All seven could fit on a single DVD.

MSDN Libraries come on 3 CDs. Why not make a DVD?

Baldur's Gate II and Fallout Tactics both came on 4+ CDs. Make a dvd edition!

Also, imagine if games like Freespace2 or similar ones came on a single DVD instead of 3 CDs.

The cinematics and music quality wouldn't have to be lowered to fit on said CDs. The cinematics in FS2, while incredibly cool, were horribly compressed. Compression artifacts were EVERYWHERE. It sucked. And the music in that game was also kinda low-fi. Make a dvd edition and BAM! Perfect cinematics and muic, while only having to deal with a single disc! If the devs put the effort anyway, why ruin it with lossy compression?

thcdru2k 08-25-02 06:49 PM

i know that part of the problem....but the only way to actually fuel people to purchase the dvd hardware, is by actually releasing dvd software. it seems kinda retarded that they are not releasing any dvd software except for like encarta. the only way the medium would be massed produced is by the creation of dvd software or games. or will it just be limited to dvd drivers and movies till who knows when.

Philibob 08-25-02 06:58 PM

If you buy a DVD drive you can get an Encarta DVD. WOW! - Doesn't look too good doesn't it.
I also think some software should be released on DVD. If Doom 3 or HL2 was released only on DVD I wonder how many DVD drives would be sold.

BTW, thcdru2k, I'm not calling your post in any way with the encarta comment. I'm just using it to make the same point.

thcdru2k 08-25-02 08:06 PM

yeah exactly..and lets say doomIII came out only on dvd. imagine how many dvd burners would be sold, and than imagine the pirating that will occur haha

StealthHawk 08-25-02 09:38 PM

well, DVD burners are becoming more and more prevalent, so it does make sense to own some kind of DVD drive to be able to play them.

dvd burners are standard on high end systems now, so. imagine in 2 years what it will be like when prices will be at $200 or less. i *believe* they are at $300 now, although they might have sunk a little lower. i don't really keep track of thse things much, as i have 0 intention of buying one; let other people buy them and i will use it :D

The Baron 08-25-02 09:53 PM

Corp. Dan, you play FS2 anymore?

*points at clan tag*

*points at FS2 "Special Thanks To:" * :p

Lemme know if you do...

SavagePaladin 08-26-02 01:59 AM

Problem:comp games see more piracy, developers get less money, developers have a much harder time entertaining the idea of changing standards and risking losing more money.

My opinion is it's an intellectual fight noone will ever win. If any high profile software DOES come on DVD, then we'll see, but for now...

anyvey

PCarr78 09-08-02 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Corp. Dan, you play FS2 anymore?

*points at clan tag*

*points at FS2 "Special Thanks To:" * :p

Lemme know if you do...

Omg, cant believe i didnt notice this before

Yes i still play!

My favorite game!

The Baron 09-08-02 10:31 PM

hehe

know Goku/Gohan (if you play online)? :p

buds from teh clan. :D

Fotis 09-09-02 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
But how long has the pc/dvd been around now? 4 years? more?

The medium STILL hasn't been used for any purpose besides movies.

It doesn't actually make sense to buy a dvd drive now. But it would if companies would smarten up.

Visual Studio .net comes on SEVEN, count'em SEVEN CDs. All seven could fit on a single DVD.

MSDN Libraries come on 3 CDs. Why not make a DVD?

Baldur's Gate II and Fallout Tactics both came on 4+ CDs. Make a dvd edition!

Also, imagine if games like Freespace2 or similar ones came on a single DVD instead of 3 CDs.

The cinematics and music quality wouldn't have to be lowered to fit on said CDs. The cinematics in FS2, while incredibly cool, were horribly compressed. Compression artifacts were EVERYWHERE. It sucked. And the music in that game was also kinda low-fi. Make a dvd edition and BAM! Perfect cinematics and muic, while only having to deal with a single disc! If the devs put the effort anyway, why ruin it with lossy compression?

There is a DVD edition of Freespace2 and it so happens that I have one!!!:)