nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Saving Fubared bios? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113808)

grey_1 05-26-08 03:53 PM

Saving Fubared bios?
 
Hey guys -

Asus P5K SE, I screwed up and used the Asus utility in Vista. Needless to say it's dead, fans spin, reboot prior to post. Anyway to save this thing?

Much thanks in advance.

David power 05-26-08 04:08 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Hey guys -

Asus P5K SE, I screwed up and used the Asus utility in Vista. Needless to say it's dead, fans spin, reboot prior to post. Anyway to save this thing?

Much thanks in advance.

I thought I had toasted mine but I popped the battery for about one min and it was back to default and working again after.

grey_1 05-26-08 04:28 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
That was the first thing I did. I've heard some need to be out longer though, maybe I'll try it again.

Toss3 05-26-08 04:36 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
I think the only chance you have of getting it running again is call up asus and ask if they can change the bios chip(only if it's removable). Read somewhere that they've saved some boards that way, asus that is. :) Good luck!

EDIT:
Quote:

I have heard you can send it into the manufacturer at least with an asus board and they will replace the bios chip if it is removable. Some boards are and some aren't. They will also send you another chip if you want to replace it yourself. Biostar is a knock off msi board if I remember right it has been awhile since I used them. I use mainly ASUS boards and I know they offer this service.

Michael
@Working Computers

grey_1 05-26-08 04:50 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3
I think the only chance you have of getting it running again is call up asus and ask if they can change the bios chip(only if it's removable). Read somewhere that they've saved some boards that way, asus that is. :) Good luck!

EDIT:

Thanks Man! I'll look into that ASAP! :)

EDIT: Soldered, Lol - My luck today :)

CaptNKILL 05-26-08 08:27 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Don't forget to unplug the PC when you take out the battery or clear the CMOS. I don't think it does anything with power still going to the board.

Rummy 05-26-08 08:49 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Don't forget to unplug the PC when you take out the battery or clear the CMOS. I don't think it does anything with power still going to the board.


Also, hold the power button in to drain the caps.

ViN86 05-26-08 09:41 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
That was the first thing I did. I've heard some need to be out longer though, maybe I'll try it again.

you can purchase a new BIOS chip pre-flashed then just pop it in. there are places online that will send you the correct BIOS chip pre-flashed with w/e BIOS you want.

grey_1 05-27-08 04:08 AM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86
you can purchase a new BIOS chip pre-flashed then just pop it in. there are places online that will send you the correct BIOS chip pre-flashed with w/e BIOS you want.

It's soldered. Only good thing here is this is a privately owned store I got this from, the owner gave it to me for pennies on the dollar.

Now I have to decide on a new mobo. Methinks I'll see what he will bundle a Q9300 in for with the new board. :)

Starscream 05-27-08 01:48 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
It's soldered. Only good thing here is this is a privately owned store I got this from, the owner gave it to me for pennies on the dollar.

Now I have to decide on a new mobo. Methinks I'll see what he will bundle a Q9300 in for with the new board. :)

Would you be willing to sell me your old motherboard?

I'll pay the shipping.

pross 05-27-08 01:56 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
there is a way to 'hot flash' it, read about it here http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html you will still need a replacement chip, they are cheap enough, basically you hold the chip over you dead bios chip so the pins are alighned, then boot into your flash diskette/cd/usb whatever, then lift off the new chip...PC is now fired up..with a dead bios chip, you can now reflash your dead chip...

grey_1 05-27-08 06:05 PM

Re: Saving Fubared bios?
 
Thanks pross, I think I'm going to get rid of it. Got my new P5E up and running very happily. Cool though, I never would have thought of hot-flashing that way. thanks again.


@ Starscream: yhpm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.