nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Can someone explain Age of Conan's instancing to me? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114194)

JigenD 06-02-08 03:58 PM

Can someone explain Age of Conan's instancing to me?

OK, basically is it like Guild Wars, where you have to group up to take people into action areas, or is there a few instances to every zone, numbered like 1, 2, 3 that you can choose between? If so, how many players can be in a zone?

Thanks.

CaptnStubing 06-02-08 06:50 PM

Re: Can someone explain Age of Conan's instancing to me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JigenD (Post 1670270)
OK, basically is it like Guild Wars, where you have to group up to take people into action areas, or is there a few instances to every zone, numbered like 1, 2, 3 that you can choose between? If so, how many players can be in a zone?

Thanks.

Basically all 20+ zones are all open like WoW except that the whole server realm is broken down into 6 or so instances. If one instance in a particular zone is over farmed then you can choose another instance of the same zone. It actually is handy.

Now with in the zones there are instances like in WoW where you can group up or raid to get boss loot and such or just to complete a quest.

It all works together so that you feel like you are all in one large realm.

JigenD 06-02-08 06:58 PM

Does the game have traditional dungeons? Some of the screenshots I've seen seem to show that. Can you just enter a dungeon like a regular zone and see tons of random people? My concern is being able to group up within these areas, kind of like the EQ1 experience.

CaptnStubing 06-02-08 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JigenD (Post 1670455)
Does the game have traditional dungeons? Some of the screenshots I've seen seem to show that. Can you just enter a dungeon like a regular zone and see tons of random people? My concern is being able to group up within these areas, kind of like the EQ1 experience.

Yes. That is what I was saying. The difference is each zone has multiple copies of its self. So you can choose one that has less people in it. It is more like WoW and EQ than it is Guild Wars.

I like the multiple copies of zone because you have a greater chance of completing hard quests. For example there is a quest in the Wild Lands where the wounded child only appears once every 6 hours. No problem if he isn't there, pick another instance. If he isn't in those then you can chose the epic version of that instance where less people if not no one goes into and finish the quest.

You can group up in the zones like EQ.

Buckeye 06-02-08 07:34 PM

Sounds like EQ2 zones/instances.

nrdstrm 06-03-08 08:21 PM

Honestly, this is a great feature...I've used it quite a bit already when I enter an area where I'm trying to do a quest and it's covered with players. I usually just pick the last "instance" on the list and barely anyone is in there...Works great...

CaptnStubing 06-03-08 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrdstrm (Post 1671611)
Honestly, this is a great feature...I've used it quite a bit already when I enter an area where I'm trying to do a quest and it's covered with players. I usually just pick the last "instance" on the list and barely anyone is in there...Works great...

Until they now made it that you have to be 5 FRIKIN meters away from a rez point. Why the hell did they do that? There isn't any reason for that. The only thing I can think of is that some ASSHOLE found an exploit.

Badboy_12345 06-04-08 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnStubing (Post 1671622)
Until they now made it that you have to be 5 FRIKIN meters away from a rez point. Why the hell did they do that? There isn't any reason for that. The only thing I can think of is that some ASSHOLE found an exploit.

It was for the pvp idiots :thumbdwn:
The used instancing to get away from other players

jeffmd 06-04-08 02:43 AM

captn, my guess is starting gold farmers are having a field day with this. Find an area easy to clear, loot the goods, swap to a new instance and repeat. Guild Wars actually had some code put in along time ago that made it so the bosses that droped the green set weapons (They are generally very good weapons that you can reliably get, unlike random stat rare drops) would lower their drop rates significantly if someone killed him a set amount of times/hour. People were picking boss mobs that wernt to far from zone in areas, and using an all human group, they would go kill it. They usualy had a good drop rate so it was an easy farm method.

edit: badboys reasoning make more sense. ;)

CaptnStubing 06-04-08 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 (Post 1671845)
It was for the pvp idiots :thumbdwn:
The used instancing to get away from other players

So they didn't want to fight in a pvp server and they would run away like little girls. Or maybe they were getting ganked repeatedly and wanted to swicht instances?

jeffmd 06-04-08 12:00 PM

My guess is they were beating up lowbies.. and if it looked like they would die from retaliation..instant teleport to another instance.