nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Getting Anistropic Filtering to Work with Very High (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114665)

Ambrose 06-11-08 08:29 PM

Getting Anistropic Filtering to Work with Very High

I did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I know parallel occlusion mapping (POM) disables AF in game. I tried using the r_usePOM 0 to disable it and get AF working at Very High but this didn't work, and I don't want to drop shaders to High.

Anyone know what other command I need in addition to r_usePOM 0 to get AF to work? Thanks. :)

SH64 06-12-08 07:38 AM

Re: Getting Anistropic Filtering to Work with Very High

I wonder if the GTX280 will be able to run POM with AF ?!

Ambrose 06-12-08 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64 (Post 1679274)
I wonder if the GTX280 will be able to run POM with AF ?!

No, you got my hopes up! I thought I had a reply with an answer. :argh:

But, it would be sweet if the POM issue (and, cross our fingers, the TSAA issue) was fixed with the new card. :D

SH64 06-12-08 05:13 PM

Sorry .. i'm concerned about this issue too :(

evox 06-14-08 05:27 AM

Maybe Spoudazo can answer your question? He knows CE2 inside and out. :)

JasonPC 06-14-08 11:45 AM

I really doubt it's possible because it was done that way by design.

CaptNKILL 06-14-08 05:16 PM

Its too bad. The parallax map looks amazing up close but it gets so blurry and nasty looking at a short distance.

I wonder if drivers could ever enable some sort of AF for parallax mapped textures. It seems like it'd eat up a ton of performance.

d2thez 06-16-08 02:02 PM

So let me get this straight, I currently run with everything on Very High except for shadows and particle and at 8x AF and 0AA. Does this mean that I am not getting any AF applied because I run my textures at Very High and this enaples Paralax Mapping?

Should I just turn off AF then?

CaptNKILL 06-16-08 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d2thez (Post 1683174)
So let me get this straight, I currently run with everything on Very High except for shadows and particle and at 8x AF and 0AA. Does this mean that I am not getting any AF applied because I run my textures at Very High and this enaples Paralax Mapping?

Should I just turn off AF then?

The AF may still work on non-parallax mapped scenery object textures, but for the ground texture it won't do anything. Which sucks, because the parallax mapped textures look amazing up close but turn into a nasty multi-colored mess at a distance.

d2thez 06-16-08 03:37 PM

Perhaps that explains then what I have been seeing. The ground textures look beautiful for what is prolly 8-10 feet in front of your character, then it seems to become extremely blurry.

I always thought my AF wasn't working or perhaps Depth of Field was killing it, and I was soon going to look into whether or not DoF can be adjusted.

But instead it is just the by product of no AF working on parallax?

Soetdjuret 06-16-08 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 1681538)
Its too bad. The parallax map looks amazing up close but it gets so blurry and nasty looking at a short distance.

I wonder if drivers could ever enable some sort of AF for parallax mapped textures. It seems like it'd eat up a ton of performance.

This is the explanation of this issue told by a guy at Crytek:

"We chose to use a certain kind of texture lookup for performance Ė this lookup type does not support Anisotropic texture filtering. In most cases this should not be that much visible. We will discuss this here and maybe for a patch we consider to improve this for high quality settings. We just need to make sure we donít loose too much performance and at the same time we cannot afford too many shader variations on this"

Maybe we'll see this problem solved in Warhead, maybe in a future patch, maybe never...

CaptNKILL 06-16-08 09:01 PM

Bah... they aren't making any more patches for this game, so I guess we're stuck with it.

Too bad. :(