nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114848)

brady 06-15-08 10:21 PM

Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

I just thought this could be a useful thread for those interested in the topic. I've been running Leopard on the system in my sig for several months now. I know six_storm has just joined the ranks and there's quite a few others with some interest. Anyways, post benchmarks, questions, configs, whatever. Just no (lee) stuff you know. For the record I have a legal copy of Leopard and I strongly suggest that anyone installing OSX on their PC go out and buy a retail copy.

So, tomorrow I think I'm going to update to 10.5.3. I thinking of just doing a complete reinstallation. I'm still a little unfamiliar with how the driver system works and I'd just like to start off fresh. What's great is the whole process takes significanly less time than installing Vista. I'm expecing my geekbench performance to improve in 10.5.3. I currently get 8032 in the 64bit benchmark. I'll try to post some 32bit and 64bit benchmarks with comparisons to similarly configured Apple machines.

six_storm 06-15-08 10:38 PM

Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Awesome thread Brady. Things went perfect for my installation, I just still can't believe how easy it was to do it. As for supporting Apple and buying a copy of Leopard, it is still on my list of things to do. I thought at first that you could buy a copy and tweak it in order to make it installable on the PC. So it all works out in the end.

Can't wait to get my new Vostro laptop in soon and install it with XP on the side. Brady, hope this thread last man, I know a lot of people around here are a little touchy with the whole pirating thing.

brady 06-15-08 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 1682447)
Awesome thread Brady. Things went perfect for my installation, I just still can't believe how easy it was to do it. As for supporting Apple and buying a copy of Leopard, it is still on my list of things to do. I thought at first that you could buy a copy and tweak it in order to make it installable on the PC. So it all works out in the end.

Can't wait to get my new Vostro laptop in soon and install it with XP on the side. Brady, hope this thread last man, I know a lot of people around here are a little touchy with the whole pirating thing.

Yeah, I used the Kalyway installation DVD it couldn't have been easier. Is that what you used? In the other thread you mentioned you used the custom drivers during the installation. I did that with some of my initial installs but found that my vram was being reported in the OS incorrectly and supected it wasn't all getting used as it should in certain situations. Now, when I install Leopard I don't install any of the video or sound drivers. I use the latest ones posted at insanelymac. The NV drivers I'm currently using report all 768mb of vram on my GTX and it appears to be working just as it should.

six_storm 06-15-08 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 1682470)
Yeah, I used the Kalyway installation DVD it couldn't have been easier. Is that what you used? In the other thread you mentioned you used the custom drivers during the installation. I did that with some of my initial installs but found that my vram was being reported in the OS incorrectly and supected it wasn't all getting used as it should in certain situations. Now, when I install Leopard I don't install any of the video or sound drivers. I use the latest ones posted at insanelymac. The NV drivers I'm currently using report all 768mb of vram on my GTX and it appears to be working just as it should.

Yeah, I used the same DVD you did. I chose under "custom installation" the Vanilla option and the NVIDIA drivers. I'm not sure where to check to see if it's using/detecting all of my VRAM . . . . care to give me a hint?

ViN86 06-16-08 01:07 AM

tbh, i dont have a problem with this thread, but i think we should clear it with MikeC first :)

ill leave it open in the mean time.

six_storm 06-16-08 06:01 AM

So I left it on last night in OS X, and for some reason, it comes back up with a light blue screen and sticks. I guess I'm gonna have to do a little research into that one lol. No worries though, a good reboot fixes it.

nekrosoft13 06-16-08 06:13 AM

any chance OSX might run on nforce4 board with 4400+? i got some spare parts.

six_storm 06-16-08 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1682630)
any chance OSX might run on nforce4 board with 4400+? i got some spare parts.

I say give it a shot. :D

brady 06-16-08 07:05 AM

To check the specs of your system click on the Apple on the very left of the bar at the top of the screen and then select "about this mac" then click "more info"(I think it's more info?). You'll get a systeminfo screen and you can check to see if all you vram is being detected amond other things.

S.SubZero 06-16-08 07:06 AM

Pretty much any other forum I see with threads trying to wander into OSX86 territory, those threads end up locked.

I encourage anyone interested in OSX86 to go to www.insanelymac.com, where they allow open and very thorough discussion of the subject.

nekrosoft13 06-16-08 07:06 AM

i might try and experiment with osx and nforce4 board.

brady 06-16-08 07:28 AM

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/320/picture1rn5.png

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4110/picture2gc0.png

Here are some key combos you can use to take screenshots in OSX:

windows+shift+3 = entire screen
windows+shift+4 = click and drag the area you want
windows+shift+4, then, space+mouseclick = takes screenshot of a highlighted screen element. This applies to the entire desktop, windows, and even individual icons.