nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114938)

darkrider01 06-17-08 08:40 AM

8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Do any of the reviews actually pit a GTX280 against 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi? I understand that the GTX280 is the fastest single card out and that it is faster than 2 x 9800GTX's, but I'm trying to decide if it's right for me. I've looked at 10 sites so far, but I can't find this comparison.

I've told myself that I'm only gonna upgrade if it's faster than 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200.

Bman212121 06-17-08 08:44 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkrider01 (Post 1684204)
Do any of the reviews actually pit a GTX280 against 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi? I understand that the GTX280 is the fastest single card out and that it is faster than 2 x 9800GTX's, but I'm trying to decide if it's right for me. I've looked at 10 sites so far, but I can't find this comparison.

I've told myself that I'm only gonna upgrade if it's faster than 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200.


There were a few that I've seen and no it's not really faster to go with 1 GTX 280 versus 2 x 8800GTX. I think I'm going to hold off and wait until the price drops a little. Then I might be able to go 2 x GTX 280 and remove all doubt. :D

I'll see if I can find it again.

Here are a couple from FiringSquad:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...nce/page13.asp

nekrosoft13 06-17-08 09:02 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
compared to two 8800GTX there is no point in switching to GTX 280.

price on GTX 280 is just insane, compared to 9800Gx2

darkrider01 06-17-08 09:08 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 1684212)
There were a few that I've seen and no it's not really faster to go with 1 GTX 280 versus 2 x 8800GTX. I think I'm going to hold off and wait until the price drops a little. Then I might be able to go 2 x GTX 280 and remove all doubt. :D

I'll see if I can find it again.

Here are a couple from FiringSquad:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...nce/page13.asp

That's exactly what I was looking for. It looks to be almost as fast (and sometimes faster) than 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi at high res.

Looks like I'll be joining the "I paid too much for my video card" group again. When I bought my 8800GTX, I paid $600, so 650 isn't so bad.

Thanks Bman212121

spajdr 06-17-08 09:09 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
GTX 280 have better min.fps then 8800GTX SLI.

Slappi 06-17-08 09:09 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1684236)
compared to two 8800GTX there is no point in switching to GTX 280.

price on GTX 280 is just insane, compared to 9800Gx2


People who have 30 inch monitors would and should buy the GTX 280.

You think the 280 is marketed at anything less than 1900 resolution?

It totally destroys the 9800gtx2 in the higher resolutions with AA and all on one chip.

Of course it would be silly for most people to buy a $650 card when a $200 card can do the same thing in the lower resolutions. Same thing as being playable frame rates with all the eye candy.

spajdr 06-17-08 09:17 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Also Age of Conan, average fps in Old Tarantia was 25-30 .. with GX2 ... with GTX 280 its around 35-40 fps, same with Conall Valley, people dont realize they barely seen in reviews min.fps and thats the problem, playing with GTX 280 is not about max. fps but about min.fps which are really better, and for max eyecandy on 30" its a must. Next thing is driver code for GT200 is completely different to G80 so there are still room for improvements.

Bman212121 06-17-08 10:05 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkrider01 (Post 1684242)
That's exactly what I was looking for. It looks to be almost as fast (and sometimes faster) than 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi at high res.

Looks like I'll be joining the "I paid too much for my video card" group again. When I bought my 8800GTX, I paid $600, so 650 isn't so bad.

Thanks Bman212121

NP. :thumbsup:

SH64 06-17-08 04:30 PM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spajdr (Post 1684243)
GTX 280 have better min.fps then 8800GTX SLI.

+1 .. which is very important if you consider smooth gaming experiance.

G-Man 06-17-08 05:03 PM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Yeah, you can buy two 9800 GTX for $450 which compares to GTX 280 at $650 :)

xdaishanx 06-18-08 11:52 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spajdr (Post 1684258)
Also Age of Conan, average fps in Old Tarantia was 25-30 .. with GX2 ... with GTX 280 its around 35-40 fps, same with Conall Valley, people dont realize they barely seen in reviews min.fps and thats the problem, playing with GTX 280 is not about max. fps but about min.fps which are really better, and for max eyecandy on 30" its a must. Next thing is driver code for GT200 is completely different to G80 so there are still room for improvements.

That's my main game and I run at 2560x1600 with everything on high other than shadows off -

2560x1600 with 4xAA I get fairly solid 58-60 fps with 8800gtx OC BFG's in SLI - was getting about 30ish with just one maybe around 40 at times - so recently added a second and shot way up

I'm curious as to if the single 280gtx would be better overall or just the two 8800gtx sli'd would be best to stick with -

Can unload those both to a friend or Ebay close to what a single 280gtx would be -

I prefer single cards in the case and finally went with the 8800gtx sli for AoC at 2560 -

What to do now , definitely dont want to drop in framerates and the Firingsquad article specifically says 8800gtx sli beat the single 280gtx on most things - especially in that DX10 bench

"In our testing though a pair of GeForce 8800 GTX cards running in SLI was generally faster than one GeForce GTX 280."

darkrider01 06-18-08 11:57 AM

Re: 8800GTX SLi v/s GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xdaishanx (Post 1685519)
That's my main game and I run at 2560x1600 with everything on high other than shadows off -

2560x1600 with 4xAA I get fairly solid 58-60 fps with 8800gtx OC BFG's in SLI - was getting about 30ish with just one maybe around 40 at times - so recently added a second and shot way up

I'm curious as to if the single 280gtx would be better overall or just the two 8800gtx sli'd would be best to stick with -

Can unload those both to a friend or Ebay close to what a single 280gtx would be -

I prefer single cards in the case and finally went with the 8800gtx sli for AoC at 2560 -

What to do now , definitely dont want to drop in framerates and the Firingsquad article specifically says 8800gtx sli beat the single 280gtx on most things - especially in that DX10 bench

"In our testing though a pair of GeForce 8800 GTX cards running in SLI was generally faster than one GeForce GTX 280."

It's been said plenty of times that the max FPS from 8800GTX's is higher, but in most cases I saw higher minimum FPS from a single GTX 280.

The minimum FPS stuff convinced me - my wife ordered me an Evga GTX 280 FTW today. BTW - MWave has the GTX 280 in stock :captnkill:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.