nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Evga GTX 280 FTW crash problems - not overheating (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115245)

darkrider01 06-22-08 11:55 PM

Evga GTX 280 FTW crash problems - not overheating

Sorry for the novel-like post, but I'm desperate now.

Problem: Start a game - after a few minutes, screen goes black, PC shuts completely down.

I have experienced this problem with Age of Conan, Crysis, Guild Wars, and Eve Online. I can try other games, but since none of these will run more than 5 minutes, I see little point in trying. rthdribl also crashes after 10-15 minutes. Temps in rthdribl usually peak at 69C.

Card runs at 40-45C idle, 68-75C under load. Ambient case temps are around 25-30C.

For 2 + days I have been trying to root out the cause of this problem. Below are some of things I have tried in no particular order:

1. Installed newest BIOS
2. Reinstalled video drivers (from disk)
3. Uninstalled video drivers - ran driver cleaner - reinstalled drivers
4. Downloaded and installed latest drivers from Nvidia's site - same process as #3.
5. Removed all my RAM, tried a single stick - did this with all 4 sticks (2x1GB and 2x2GB)
6. Moved connectors around on my PSU (modular)
7. Turned off everything in room except for PC and monitor.
8. Updated all DirectX components
9. Cried, got mad, and gave myself a headache.
10. Underclocked my RAM down to 800MHz.
11. Ran my processor at stock clocks - with RAM at stock and underclocked.
12. Ran video card at reference clocks.
13. Set fan speed to 100%.
14. Tried every combination of BIOS settings I can think of.

Anomolies:

I had Crysis run once for 15 minutes. I stopped playing, did a little dance, and sat back down in my chair and started up Age of Conan. Within 5 minutes, my PC was at a black screen again and then shut down.

My XFX 8800GTX ran flawless in this rig. None of the problems came about until the 280 GTX was installed.

1000W Ultra X3 PSU with 70A on the +12V rail. PSU is equipped with both 6 pin and 8 pin PCIE connectors.

Plans:

I'm ordering a new motherboard tomorrow. Probably going for a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 or maybe the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6. I've been looking at the Abit X38 Quad GT, but customer support horror stories have me concerned. I'm done with MSI motherboards forever.

I may send my RAM in for RMA and see if patriot will send me 4 matched sticks. All the sticks I have now are all DDR2 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings, but all matched might make a difference.

Is there anything else that I'm missing? Short of reinstalling windows, I can't think of anything. Could my board being PCIE 1.0 instead of PCIE 2.0 have anything to do with it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Evga tech support said take it to a shop and have them test it. I think my testing methods have been far superior to and more exhausting than anything a shop would do.

jAkUp 06-23-08 12:42 AM

Re: Evga GTX 280 FTW crash problems - not overheating

Try running the 6pin to 8pin converter in the box, sometimes this can avoid overloading on particular rail.

spajdr 06-23-08 03:23 AM

Seeing that mobo, gfx card produce alot of heat that raise hot air into chipset cooling, did you tried to put gfx card into second PCIE slot, more away from northbridge cooling? I guess you have plugged 8pin ATX connector into motherboard?

darkrider01 06-23-08 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp (Post 1690542)
Try running the 6pin to 8pin converter in the box, sometimes this can avoid overloading on particular rail.

I have not tried this yet, but I will tonight. I had thought about doing this, but thought the PSU should be able to handle it. It is definitely worth a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spajdr (Post 1690604)
Seeing that mobo, gfx card produce alot of heat that raise hot air into chipset cooling, did you tried to put gfx card into second PCIE slot, more away from northbridge cooling? I guess you have plugged 8pin ATX connector into motherboard?

The 8pin mobo connector is plugged in. I have a fan blowing directly on the Northbridge cooling fins. The GTX 280 doesn't cover the Northbridge any more than the 8800GTX did. I have not tried the card in the second PCIE slot as it is a 4x slot.

spajdr 06-23-08 09:12 AM

Pretty weird for sure, if nothing overheat then it must be some mobo problem, or PSU is not compatible with GFX card, it happened before with some 1kW PSUs and 8800Ultra. I bet though its motherboard.

hell_of_doom227 06-23-08 09:18 AM

I was thinking between regular clock speed or super overclocked eVga and i figured i will stick with stock speed. A little extra Mhz is not worth troubles...
I never overclocked these 8800GTXs i'm still running. I'm against overclocking video cards. I think you lose more then what you actually get.

jAkUp 06-23-08 11:32 AM

Well, since the PC completely shuts off, to me it sounds like a power issue.

mailman2 06-23-08 11:40 AM

Does it crash at any other point or just when pushing the GPU? A power issue would be random and usually will reboot, not shutdown unless something in the PSU is tripped. Sounds to me more like a heat issue than a power issue. If its only while pushing the GPU and if the machine isnt rebooting it's more than likely an issue related to the GPU. Time for an RMA.

mullet 06-23-08 11:40 AM

Quote:

Its a 70A single rail.

Pointguard1122 06-23-08 04:45 PM

I have a similar issue.

I have an EVGA GTX280 on a EVGA 780i mobo with Vista x64 Ult, 4GB RAM, Corsair 750W PSU. At random times the screen will turn off. The video card seems to stop displaying video. The fan on the card also turns off. EVGA really has no idea what could cause this. I was told either:
1. faulty card
2. PSU issue
3. driver issue
A member on the EVGA forum said that nvidia knows of this and is working on a driver fix. I am going to try another PSU tonight to see if it continues to happen. The same system had no trouble with a 9800GTX or a HD4850. I might take this card to a friend to test in his system. I will post my results later in the week.

turdhat 06-23-08 05:36 PM

Checking your event view for mem dumps or indications that the macine is bluescreening but you are not seeing it ? Do you have it set to shut down on bluescreen instead of it showing you the error. Check those options because if you are missing a blue screen and could get an error message it at least might help you troubleshoot.

darkrider01 06-23-08 10:48 PM

Well, I'm extremely confused by all this, but here is some additional info.

The computer wouldn't just shut off - it would go to a black screen. The sounds would continue for a couple of seconds, then it would turn off. Almost like the computer was shutting down.

The event logs just told me that "The previous system shutdown at 11:51:37 PM on 6/22/2008 was unexpected."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 1690948)
Quote:

Its a 70A single rail.

Here is the confusing part - I replaced my 8 pin PCIE connector with 2 x 6 pin -> 8pin adapter - now it's working great. I had Crysis, Eve Online, and Guild Wars all running at 1680x1050 windows on my desktop, and it didn't die. I ran rthdribl and Furmark in full screen at 1920x1200 for over 30 minutes each. Temps were hovering in the mid to high 80's. I've mailed Ultra support to see what they say. I'm gonna reboot and try to OC my CPU back to 3.2 GHz and see what that does.

Why would running the 2 to 1 adapter make a difference if there is a single 70A rail? It looks like the the wires may be too thin to carry the required current for the card if this does actually correct the problem.