nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115336)

Maverickman 06-24-08 05:49 PM

Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI?

Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia received little attention a few months ago. So did the following announcement that Nvidia's GeForce 8 series and up would have support for Ageia's PhysX in an upcoming driver release. This driver release is supposedly imminent for the GTX 200 series, and the 8 and 9 series will get its driver shortly thereafter. Although few games support PhysX, it can make a dramatic difference in those that do support it. This PhysX support may make the difference for those looking at a high-end Nvidia card like the GTX 260. The ability to see particles flying all over the place causing collateral damage is a sight to behold. I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen. If more games incorporate PhysX, it could really hurt ATI as gamers will no doubt want to have a card that takes advantage of its capabilities. In the past, you had to buy a card for $149 or more to get PhysX. Soon, all you'll need is an Nvidia card and the correct drivers. It will make more sense for developers to use PhysX, and I'm sure Nvidia will "encourage" them to do so!

methimpikehoses 06-24-08 05:55 PM

Re: Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI?

hmmm... I've heard big promises about physX before...

Vanzagar 06-24-08 06:23 PM

Bahh, sounds like they're loosing focus... they'll probably mess things up more by trying to add this into the mix, the quad core cpu's give us enough bandwidth to do the physics on the cpu, leave it off the gpu please, just focus on giving me a really stable SLI powerhouse card please...

rh

Redeemed 06-24-08 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverickman (Post 1692625)
Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia received little attention a few months ago. So did the following announcement that Nvidia's GeForce 8 series and up would have support for Ageia's PhysX in an upcoming driver release. This driver release is supposedly imminent for the GTX 200 series, and the 8 and 9 series will get its driver shortly thereafter. Although few games support PhysX, it can make a dramatic difference in those that do support it. This PhysX support may make the difference for those looking at a high-end Nvidia card like the GTX 260. The ability to see particles flying all over the place causing collateral damage is a sight to behold. I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen. If more games incorporate PhysX, it could really hurt ATI as gamers will no doubt want to have a card that takes advantage of its capabilities. In the past, you had to buy a card for $149 or more to get PhysX. Soon, all you'll need is an Nvidia card and the correct drivers. It will make more sense for developers to use PhysX, and I'm sure Nvidia will "encourage" them to do so!

Crysis doesn't utilise PhysX.

Ninja Prime 06-24-08 06:35 PM

So, their secret weapon is... cheating in 3dmark scores! Seems familiar... oh yeah the FX series.

Seriously, one game can actually use GPU physics and it needs special levels to do so. Even more, so far that game hasn't been very well adopted.(UT3)

Said plainly, this is cheating so they can boast higher 3dmark scores. Which doesn't even work since using the GPU in a CPU test is against Futuremarks rules and therefore the scores don't even count.

AngelGraves13 06-24-08 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 1692660)
Crysis doesn't utilise PhysX.

LOL

Dreamingawake 06-24-08 07:20 PM

lol x2, like seriously, don't ever believe anything you read on the net.. some people
just don't know what they're talking about..

G-Man 06-24-08 07:30 PM

lol x3

Vanzagar 06-24-08 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverickman (Post 1692625)
... I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen.

Hey dude, I've got this awesome bridge I'd like to sell ya, it looks realllly cool...

3DBrad 06-24-08 08:32 PM

All UE3 games use Physx though, pretty much (except for Biostink and a few other titles).

Maverickman 06-24-08 08:34 PM

I know that Crysis does not support PhysX, but turning up the physics setting to very high results in a dramatic improvement in explosions and damage. If your card can handle it, give it a try. We've heard about the wonders of PhysX before, but those who have seen it in action state that it can make a big difference in the gaming experience. Maybe it will turn out to be all hype and just an attempt by Nvidia to boost 3DMark Vantage scores, but I think it may turn out to signal a major shift in gaming. PhysX support was limited to those who bought the card and games that supported it. Now it will be supported in Nvidia's cards by downloading the correct drivers. Developers can include it in future games knowing that a lot of gamers will be able to use it. I'm sure that Nvidia will so all it can to ensure that this happens.

Amuro 06-24-08 08:51 PM

Now it's up to Nvidia to push developers to support physx in future games.