nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   I solved GTX280 overheating issue (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115399)

hell_of_doom227 06-25-08 08:21 PM

I solved GTX280 overheating issue

It's case airflow.

Installed GTX started futuremark and card reached 100C before i hit quit. I didn't want card to reach any critical point. I opened the case and started thinking. Ok, so i moved my sound card to the last PCI slot. It was just under Video card. Grabbed my PCI Slot video card fan (antec blue) and installed under the card. I skipped one slot though to make sure there is room between slot cooler and video card itself. I fired up computer and noticed my idle dropped from 54C to 48C. I ran future mark three times in a row...For the first bench temperature didn't go over 78C :D. For second one which is more intensive it reached around 86C. For other benches temperature was between 69C and 75C

So yeah...happy gaming....:captnkill:

It looks like this card requires extremely good aircase flow. Also want to mention that my room temperatire is about 102F, no air here and it's damn hot summer...:(

Amuro 06-25-08 08:25 PM

Re: I solved GTX280 overheating issue

102F? Damn, you might wanna install some AC unit in your room.

hell_of_doom227 06-25-08 08:34 PM

It might be even more actually...

After 15 minutes of sitting here you're literally in the water...

particleman 06-25-08 09:20 PM

I don't think that solution will work for everyone, when I took my defective card to the store, they didn't even use a case it was just a motherboard in a air conditioned room and furmark still hit 105 degrees in less than a minute.

ScBlacksunshine 06-25-08 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particleman (Post 1694010)
I don't think that solution will work for everyone, when I took my defective card to the store, they didn't even use a case it was just a motherboard in a air conditioned room and furmark still hit 105 degrees in less than a minute.

yeah wish it was that easy too, mine is overheating with room temp at 70 and open case, Furmark 100+ with artifacts....

hell_of_doom227 06-25-08 09:59 PM

My room temperature is 114F.

The game i tested so far

UT3 75C max - played for 30 minutes
Crysis 89C max - played for 60 minutes
Fuel Of War 85C Max - played for 25 minutes

First time i installed before i adjusted my case fans hit 100C after a minute of playing Crysis.

I guess hot air got trapped but when i moved my sound card, installed pci slot cooler and flipped window fan to blow outside, the whole picture changed. I also notice that hot air from northbridge directly blow hot air to back of GPU chip itself. What a bad design by Nvidia.

Lfctony 06-25-08 10:03 PM

Man, I'm glad you fixed your problem. But I wish it was only that simple... :(

hell_of_doom227 06-25-08 11:33 PM

Well not really. Crysis got a bit intense, and i just see temperature going like crazy up to 102C. It's time to RMA this....:thumbdwn:

Dreamingawake 06-25-08 11:57 PM

hm, i dunno you might be onto something there..

i just got a new case today and boy does it ever make a difference.

max load in crysis now 70-75, and i can barely even hear my case fans it's just an
amazing difference to the one i had before..

and what's even better is that my fps went up substantially as well, perhaps
because the card is no longer throttling back due to high temps..

crysis looks just beautiful at 1680x1050 with 16xAA, dx9 with the dx10 tweaks enabled.

*Drool*

it never dipped or chugged once, even in large firefights.. and everyone
over at the evga forums was flabbergasted i got a 280 with such a 'weak'
processor..

anyway, all i know is there are QUITE a few reports of high temps with
the 280's so it's just gotta be the way they are.. I doubt that many
bad eggs could slip through quality control.

when i first got my card it overheated, shut my pc down ect. too.. but
troubleshoot troubleshoot troubleshoot and im a very happy gamer..

it's cool to be able to see the inside of my case too :) :afro:
http://www.quiktechsaz.com/antec_900.jpg

Lfctony 06-26-08 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particleman (Post 1694010)

Dreamingawake, take a look at the quote above... It's not an airflow issue... Another user even used a floor fan and it still overheated...

particleman 06-26-08 12:10 AM

Also if it were an airflow issue, exchanging my card for another one would have had no impact. Instead not only did my replacement card run 20 degrees cooler, it didn't overheat and throttle (if the overheating cards didn't throttle they would go well beyond 105 degrees).

My defective card ran at 105 degrees with throttling.

My replacement card runs at 85 degrees no throttling and the same case.

Lfctony 06-26-08 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particleman (Post 1694134)
Also if it were an airflow issue, exchanging my card for another one would have had no impact. Instead not only did my replacement card run 20 degrees cooler, it didn't overheat and throttle (if the overheating cards didn't throttle they would go well beyond 105 degrees).

My defective card ran at 105 degrees with throttling.

My replacement card runs at 85 degrees no throttling and the same case.

Ditto!