nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is a correct dynamic twinview setup really impossible? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115532)

seiichiro0185 06-28-08 12:26 PM

Is a correct dynamic twinview setup really impossible?

Hi all,

I have a problem here. I read a lot of threads in the Forums that with Dynamic TwinView and current xorg-server versions (read: 1.3.x) it is impossible for the driver to give the correct infos to the xorg-server and Programs for identifying a setup with 2 Monitors as 2 Seperate Screens. They just get threated as one big screen (stretching all Windows and stuff over both).

Now I have a laptop which normaly only uses its internal screen. But at times I would like to hook up an external monitor and configure it as a secondary monitor. At the moment I have to change xorg.conf and restart X. If I just activate it in nvidia-settings without restarting X I get the "stretch everything over both monitors"-behavior. This is *really* inconvenient!! With my old laptop I was able to do this within a running X (radeon open-source driver)

So is there really no way getting this to work with the nvidia-driver?

Thanks in advance

seiichiro

AaronP 06-28-08 04:09 PM

Re: Is a correct dynamic twinview setup really impossible?

This will be fixed in a future driver release. Unfortunately, turning on Xinerama info when there's only one display device confuses a lot of (mostly older) software, so it may not be enabled by default, but the option will be there, at least.

f1f0 06-28-08 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP (Post 1697053)
This will be fixed in a future driver release. Unfortunately, turning on Xinerama info when there's only one display device confuses a lot of (mostly older) software, so it may not be enabled by default, but the option will be there, at least.

I'm not sure if that's the case. Dynamic TwinView doesn't work properly without EDID infos on some monitors. But when it works, I can easily select the right resolution for both monitors and still get the same level of performance and behavior correctness of running programs.

seiichiro0185 06-29-08 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP (Post 1697053)

Ok, thanks for the info. Any word on when we can expect a driver with the support?

AaronP 06-29-08 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 (Post 1697318)
Ok, thanks for the info. Any word on when we can expect a driver with the support?

Nope.

seiichiro0185 08-17-08 12:04 PM

Any news on this issue?

seiichiro0185 09-20-08 04:28 AM

Well, looks like with beta-drivers 177.70 and XFCE it works like it should! I can now add a Monitor on the fly and XFCE detects it as two monitors ^_^