nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Has anyone tried to get a price adjustment from Newegg? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115863)

Maverickman 07-05-08 09:30 AM

Has anyone tried to get a price adjustment from Newegg?

We all know that video cards drop in price over time. However, this price drop on the GTX280/260 so soon after launch is very unusual. I guess we have ATI to thank for this, and it's just one more example of no matter which cards you prefer, competition is best for everyone. Still, I bought my GTX 280 from Newegg just over 2 weeks ago, and the price has dropped $110!!! I'm tempted to return my card under their return policy and order another at the new price, but I was wondering if Newegg will just issue a credit to my account instead of me having to return this card. I've heard that Newegg won't do this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to return a card I want to order another at a lower price.

Maverickman 07-05-08 09:31 AM

Re: Has anyone tried to get an price adjustment from Newegg?

It looks like I put "an" instead of "a."

Greeno 07-05-08 09:39 AM

Might not be completely ethical - as they're trying to run a business... But i'd look after yourself first and foremost mate.

ginfest 07-05-08 11:55 AM

I have gotten multiple price adjustments from them in the past. IIRC it depends on the time frame involved, but I'm not sure what their criteria is. Just call and ask them.

Tr1cK 07-05-08 02:39 PM

Re: Has anyone tried to get a price adjustment from Newegg?

Nope, and I don't foresee why anybody should get one.

Nvidia knew what the deal was and charged a premium while they could for the 200 series. They knew they had a loss coming up in the laptop debacle and in the price/performance war against ATI. I doubt Newegg is willing to take a loss and I seriously doubt Nvidia is going to reimburse anyone like Apple did on the iPhone.

heatlesssun 07-05-08 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginfest (Post 1703067)
I have gotten multiple price adjustments from them in the past. IIRC it depends on the time frame involved, but I'm not sure what their criteria is. Just call and ask them.

How did you get this from NewEgg? Their policy clear states they don't do price guarentee's : http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=5

Maverickman 07-05-08 03:22 PM

I'll find out on Monday, but I would think that Newegg would honor the adjustment on a card that they are now selling for a much lower price. many stores such as BB, Fry's and Circuit City will adjust a price if they or even a competitor are selling it for less for a specified period. If it involves a computer, that may be only 14 days.

If Newegg will not adjust the price, I'll just order another card at the new price and return the one I have. Newegg will then have a returned card and they'll have sold another to me for the reduced price.

It's no secret how video cards drop in price over time, but since this happened so quickly, common sense may allow for an adjustment. I've bought a lot of merchandise from Newegg, so we'll see how much it values its customers.

methimpikehoses 07-05-08 03:38 PM

Newegg adjusted the price for me on some ram that dropped $40 a day after I bought it. Don't know if they will feel obligated since it's been 2 weeks. Good luck.

jcrox 07-05-08 03:52 PM

I wouldn't even bother to try. If your still within the return time period, return it and buy another one at the cheaper price.

fasedww 07-05-08 04:22 PM

I just emailed them, because I bought two evga sc 280's for 649.00 a piece. I bought a playstation 3 and the price dropped a 100.00 dollars a few days later, they gave me 100.00 credit back. In the last 15 years, I probally have spent over 10,000 to 15,000 dollars there. What do you think my response will be? I'm going to call also after work monday.:)

hemmy 07-05-08 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasedww (Post 1703237)
I just emailed them, because I bought two evga sc 280's for 649.00 a piece. I bought a playstation 3 and the price dropped a 100.00 dollars a few days later, they gave me 100.00 credit back. In the last 15 years, I probally have spent over 10,000 to 15,000 dollars there. What do you think my response will be? I'm going to call also after work monday.:)

And I thought I was a dedicated customer :o

Maverickman 07-05-08 05:21 PM

Since this was an unexpected move by Nvidia, it makes sense to issue a credit rather than ship the card back. Let's see how Newegg handles this. This will affect how much I buy from them in the future.