nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116150)

Vanzagar 07-11-08 01:59 PM

Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

The new GTX 2xx series is not selling as well or for as much as anyone predicted. The reviews and subsequent price drops tell the tale: NVIDIA's most expensive GPU yet simply doesn't perform well enough compared to AMD's latest parts to justify the price NVIDIA was targeting. What will be AMD's boon is NVIDIA's loss, a great deal of GPU profit.
Quote:

In the long term NVIDIA is still in a better position than AMD since they're not continually losing money hand over fist, but it doesn't mean that these problems won't have ramifications in the future. NVIDIA wouldn't be the first company to shift around its product lines or slow down their R&D efforts in order to make a quarter or two look better, although for obvious reasons we hope it does not come to that. This much bad news at once is certainly unprecedented for NVIDIA.
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=469

Ouch, I hope they have a gtx280 successor just around the corner... or hopefully they can get the manufacturing cost down...

rh

CaptNKILL 07-11-08 02:05 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
It really sucks that they are having issues elsewhere with the laptop GPUs and the RAMBUS lawsuits that the inquirer wrote about recently.

This would be a perfect chance to even out the playing field and bring GPU costs way down, but losing funds in other ways won't make it any easier for them to release more competitive products.

hell_of_doom227 07-11-08 02:07 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
I just don't see what's the problem. GTX280 smokes HD4870. I had HD4870 for one day at friends house. I just said remove this garbage...After playing with GTX280, HD4870 just felt terrible. I think a lot of crack heads are out there seeing HD4870 as really good card...in fact blinded and happy about $300 they spent only.

CaptNKILL 07-11-08 02:15 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1708644)
I just don't see what's the problem. GTX280 smokes HD4870. I had HD4870 for one day at friends house. I just said remove this garbage...After playing with GTX280, HD4870 just felt terrible. I think a lot of crack heads are out there seeing HD4870 as really good card...in fact blinded and happy about $300 they spent only.

Ok, I know I'm not the only person that's getting tired of this flame bait crap.

Yes, we know you like your GTX 280. I'm sure its a fantastic card but is it necessary to take jabs at 4870 owners in every single thread you participate in? I've warned you (and others) multiple times for stuff like this.

Tr1cK 07-11-08 02:16 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1708644)
I just don't see what's the problem. GTX280 smokes HD4870. I had HD4870 for one day at friends house. I just said remove this garbage...After playing with GTX280, HD4870 just felt terrible. I think a lot of crack heads are out there seeing HD4870 as really good card...in fact blinded and happy about $300 they spent only.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

ATI is winning the price/performance war hands down. The days of $650 video cards needs to end for PC gaming to continue to prosper. ATI has put a lot of power in many peoples hands for cheap.

I can't speak for your experience with your "friend", but as an actual 4800 series owner, I couldn't be happier having a $180 card that performs better than yesterdays $600 card. It puts my old 8800 to shame in every test I have thrown at it. The true drivers for them have yet to surface as well. I keep GPUZ sensors running on my secondary display while gaming and have seen many cases of unoptimized GPU usage not putting it to 100%. When I see it at 100%, the game is typically flying because those 800SPs are doing their job.

CaptNKILL 07-11-08 02:18 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Ugh... I see where this is going...

:rolleyes:

Vanzagar 07-11-08 02:20 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1708644)
I just don't see what's the problem. GTX280 smokes HD4870. I had HD4870 for one day at friends house. I just said remove this garbage...After playing with GTX280, HD4870 just felt terrible. I think a lot of crack heads are out there seeing HD4870 as really good card...in fact blinded and happy about $300 they spent only.

hell_of_doom227, don't you think that maybe your friend is an idiot and his system is setup poorly or maybe full or spam or has another bottleneck... you've posted this crap more than once and had a ton of people tell you you're full of bs - christ even look at all the reviews out there... get over it already or go try another 4870, just cause you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean they are like that...

rh

Vanzagar 07-11-08 02:28 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
There's an old business adage "Buy When There’s Blood in the Streets", I think nVidia is a good company and they will turn things around and the lawsuits will pass, once they release a good performance/cost ratio card I think I'll pick up some of their stock...

rh

hell_of_doom227 07-11-08 02:45 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK (Post 1708650)
Spoken like a true fanboy.

ATI is winning the price/performance war hands down. The days of $650 video cards needs to end for PC gaming to continue to prosper. ATI has put a lot of power in many peoples hands for cheap.

I can't speak for your experience with your "friend", but as an actual 4800 series owner, I couldn't be happier having a $180 card that performs better than yesterdays $600 card. It puts my old 8800 to shame in every test I have thrown at it. The true drivers for them have yet to surface as well. I keep GPUZ sensors running on my secondary display while gaming and have seen many cases of unoptimized GPU usage not putting it to 100%. When I see it at 100%, the game is typically flying because those 800SPs are doing their job.

How can you compare 4800 series with almost two old years 8800?. It speaks of garbage ATI makes for the last three years. I don't care about Nvidia and ATI, i just get what's better.
GTX260 for $329 is better deal then HD4870. GTX280 has no competition right now. Just don't tell me HD4870 is faster then GTX260 in what? COD4 :) give me a break.

hell_of_doom227 07-11-08 02:46 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhuala (Post 1708660)
hell_of_doom227, don't you think that maybe your friend is an idiot and his system is setup poorly or maybe full or spam or has another bottleneck... you've posted this crap more than once and had a ton of people tell you you're full of bs - christ even look at all the reviews out there... get over it already or go try another 4870, just cause you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean they are like that...

rh

I just don't care about benchmarks and reviews out there. When you start a game that's real deal and the you actually see difference between two cards.

hell_of_doom227 07-11-08 02:51 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 1708655)
Ugh... I see where this is going...

:rolleyes:

I will stop...sorry if i'm flaming too much. I will stop it.

CaptNKILL 07-11-08 02:57 PM

Re: Rough Times All Around For The GPU Crew
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1708722)
I will stop...sorry if i'm flaming too much. I will stop it.

I'm going to hold you to that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.