nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Downclocking issue a Vista problem? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116183)

Lfctony 07-12-08 11:41 AM

Downclocking issue a Vista problem?

Seems like Vista suffers from another problem, other than the nvkldmm error. Just to make sure, does anyone suffer from the downclocking/throttling problem during 3D in Windows XP?

The problem occurs during 3D output, where the cards drop from normal 3D speed to Fallback 1 (400/800/300) or Fallback 2 (300/600/100) for no apparent reason. (Not a power issue, not an overheating issue). Several users have bypassed this by forcing the card at full 3D all the time using Rivatuner which is only a temporary solution...

More here:
http://www.evga.com/forums/m.asp?m=421769

jAkUp 07-12-08 03:09 PM

Re: Downclocking issue a Vista problem?

Yes, it is mostly dependent on the app. (not enough load on the GPU's)

Lfctony 07-12-08 03:26 PM

Jacob for me it happens in Crysis so far. Now that can't be from the lack of load can it? Also, since it's apparently limited to Vista (not sure, still testing), it must be a driver/aero something issue...

nekrosoft13 07-12-08 03:33 PM

it would downclock if temps are high, after re-locating one fan, it never goes over 75c for me, also never downclocks during a game, only on desktop

Lfctony 07-12-08 03:57 PM

Mine downclocks randomly, sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 3-4 minutes and always with no excuse, ie in game, during great loads but at normal temps (ie 75-79c)...

Stevedroid 07-13-08 04:43 AM

So far this only happens for me when going into 2D menus in Mass Effect. The card downclocks and then there's a noticable judder for about a second when resuming the 3D portion of the game. A second may not seem like a lot, but you're always going back and forth between menus and 3D so it gets annoying over time.

I mean I can understand the menus downclocking because they're just 2D, but the fact that there's a delay resuming normal speed is annoying. You'd think that they set it up so that if you're in a game, there wouldn't be any speed stepping regardless

oozish 07-20-08 09:56 AM

My card doesn't downclock at all...has anyone heard of this? Is this a driver problem? I can't seem to find any info about a card NOT downclocking

Lfctony 07-20-08 10:20 AM

Are you running Everest? Some users reported it was preventing the card from throttling in Windows...

LBJM 07-21-08 11:33 PM

the down clocking doesn't work right on intel motherboards.

Lfctony 07-21-08 11:37 PM

If you're talking about the card not downloading in 2D when it should, it downclocks ok even on a Intel mobo. My GTX280 was on 3 Intel boards and was downclocking fine. People that concluded that the downclocking doesn't work on Intel boards were jumping to conclusions... The card downclocked properly in my P5K, P5KC and P5KPL.

Nkd 07-22-08 01:05 AM

yup my gtx 260 downclocks occasionaly, for no apparent reason, I dont know why it does that, it is really annoying, Nvidia better fix this otherwise I gonna have to return this card, it is a great card but I really dont want to force 3d clocks all the time, as that is a power burner. it usually happens when there is sudden drop in gpu load, but it fails to rebounce to normal 3d clock, like testing lost planet performance test, when it was about to load snow demo from caves it went to 2d clocks and never went back to 3d clocks.

Lfctony 07-22-08 01:13 AM

Don't worry, it's just a matter of time. Just be happy its not a hardware issue.