nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Is getting free Wi-Fi from the neighborhood illegal? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117228)

Digital_Trans 08-02-08 06:31 PM

Is getting free Wi-Fi from the neighborhood illegal?

I just moved into my own town house in North Las Vegas and am awaiting for the cable company to come out and set my high-speed INTERNET connection up. I noticed that I was getting free INTERNET from the area I live in. Is there anything wrong with getting it free?

Q 08-02-08 07:24 PM

Re: Is getting free Wi-Fi from the neighborhood illegal?

Grey area.

I say that if you leave your network wide open, you WANT people to use it.

Digital_Trans 08-02-08 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 1731502)
Grey area.

I say that if you leave your network wide open, you WANT people to use it.

Well it's fast and I even played some UT3 over the network...lmao!

AthlonXP1800 08-02-08 08:25 PM

Yeah good for you to get free internet if you dont know where the wifi from then it not illegal and also if you actually know someone who use wifi then it illegal to access this without the wifi owner's permission. :)

Digital_Trans 08-02-08 11:31 PM

What are the security risks of doing it and what would you do in order to not get caught if any?

AthlonXP1800 08-03-08 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Trans (Post 1731654)
What are the security risks of doing it and what would you do in order to not get caught if any?

There are no security risks when you doing it in your house but risks caught when you sit, stand outside houses or in the car for long period that will raise suspicious.

My wifi network locked with assinged MAC codes only from my laptop, itouch and UMPC that are allowed to access the internet and people are not allowed to access it without my permission.

Runningman 08-03-08 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 (Post 1731714)
There are no security risks when you doing it in your house but risks caught when you sit, stand outside houses or in the car for long period that will raise suspicious.

My wifi network locked with assinged MAC codes only from my laptop, itouch and UMPC that are allowed to access the Internet and people are not allowed to access it without my permission.

You call that security? lol. really, it wasn't worth the effort.

Runningman 08-03-08 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Trans (Post 1731654)

well the access point could be setup to log and intercept your traffic. A malicious operator could have set that AP up to sniff all your traffic to capture user names and password or do a reverse attack against your machine and then launch attacks that could lead to key logging or other malicious activities. The only way to really protect yourself is not to do it. Not that i have done any of this.

Digital_Trans 08-03-08 05:22 AM

Stop the press who is that? The knowledge base grows! HEHEH! HAHAHA! HO! HO! My Belkin N1 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter is kicking some free a$$ high-speed internet! I just canceled my internet appointment lol! And that accounts for my notebook and deskop pc...

AthlonXP1800 08-03-08 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningman (Post 1731801)
well the access point could be setup to log and intercept your traffic. A malicious operator could have set that AP up to sniff all your traffic to capture user names and password or do a reverse attack against your machine and then launch attacks that could lead to key logging or other malicious activities. The only way to really protect yourself is not to do it. Not that i have done any of this.

Interesting, I looked up on internet about wifi sniffer software and surprised to read that it can capture username and password but when I looked at other site I wont named which I was shocked to read that the $300 software can sniff Wifi LAN and capture wired/switched LAN as well as ICQ, IRC, MSN and Email. It seem here is no way to protect yourself on LAN without wifi and the solution is to switch off when not in use. It is a threat to national security if many people use the tool.

Wonder is here a wifi sniff capture program for my itouch? :D

ViN86 08-03-08 09:39 AM

depends.

some neighborhoods have free wi-fi, but only i you live in the neighborhood. however, if you mean your neighbor is too stupid to enabled security features, or you circumvented the security features, then you are breaking the law.

Digital_Trans 08-03-08 01:50 PM

Interesting data.....