nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   friend casts doubts over my TV choice (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117473)

tornadog 08-07-08 10:40 AM

friend casts doubts over my TV choice

Owner of a Samsung 46" 720p Slim DLP HDTV for a little over a year now. My firend came over for dinner and we were watching a movie that was showing on a HD channel. I was sitting in the center and he was sitting to the right of the screen. During the movie he asked me how much I could get for selling this tv, I said about 500. Then he said I should try selling it an dgetting a LCD as the screen was dark and at his view angle it was blurry. So now that has put a lot of doubt on my mind. I even went to Bestbuy last night and indeed the LCDs and Plasma look so much brighter compared to the DLPs there. I am thinking of trying to sell it and get one of those Sony Bravia 40 inches!!!

|JuiceZ| 08-07-08 11:30 AM

Re: friend casts doubts over my TV choice

Who cares, its your tv, if it suits your needs, why go buy something else?

J-Mag 08-07-08 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| (Post 1737120)
Who cares, its your tv, if it suits your needs, why go buy something else?

What if one of his needs is impressing company?

tornadog 08-07-08 04:30 PM

So what good:

Panasonic Viera 42" plasma or Sony Bravia 40" LCD or Samsung 40" LCD

crainger 08-07-08 05:48 PM

The Sony's ARE good, but often you'll find they aren't quite worth the extra you pay. If you want LCD, get the Sammy Sung, if you want plasma get the Pana. However if you really want to impress, get the Sony.

BronzeGod 08-07-08 08:54 PM

Samsung LCDs are the best hands down.

Medion 08-07-08 09:47 PM

While I can't say for certain that Samsung's LCDs are the best, they are definitely my preference. Sure, you could get a Sony Bravia...or you could save a few hundred $$$ and get the Samsung 6 series, which is the same panel (Samsung supplies most of the panels that Sony uses right now). Or if you really want to blow some money, get the Samsung 9 series (6, 7, and 8 series use the same panel, except the scaled down 630). The 9 series uses LED backlighting.

betterdan 08-08-08 05:53 AM

Screw your friend. Not literally of course. I love our Mits DLP.

Sowk 08-08-08 07:54 AM

If angle viewing is of importance, a plasma will get you the best results.

Panasonic or Pioneer are the 2 top manufactures in Plasma.

Also, what TV does your friend own as reference?

J-Mag 08-08-08 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sowk (Post 1738204)
If angle viewing is of importance, a plasma will get you the best results.

I don't think you can generalize like that. I just picked up a Samsung LCD, the LN46A750, and I can't see a color shift until almost parallel with the screen...

npras42 08-08-08 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mag (Post 1738442)
I don't think you can generalize like that. I just picked up a Samsung LCD, the LN46A750, and I can't see a color shift until almost parallel with the screen...

I agree. I'd say that most modern LCDs made by the major brands have absolutely no problems with viewing angle at all.

Monolyth 08-08-08 01:51 PM

Samsung & Sony use the same panels in their newer LCD lines anyway. Save some money get a Samsung.

Pana is really the only good Plasma choice left, though in their day Pioneer Plasma's were THE best TV PQ-wise.

Go with a Sammy LCD IMHO. LN40A650 is a nice mix of price + features/inputs.