nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   ALSA, RH9.0 and A7N8Xdlx (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11774)

danboid 05-14-03 03:53 AM

ALSA, RH9.0 and A7N8Xdlx

My main problem at the moment is getting the latest ALSA (0.9.3) working on my RH9/ A7N8X box. I successfully got ALSA 0.9.2 working under Mandrake 9.1 (with the same hardware), but the same procedure isn't working for RedHat.

The 0.9.3a ALSA driver source compiled without error, and I followed all the instructions on the ALSA site, like adding those extra lines to modules.conf, but when I run alsaconf (after installing the driver) I get this output:

----------------------------

Loading driver...
Starting sound driver: snd-intel8x0 /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: unresolved symbol schedule_work
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed
done
Setting default volumes...
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /etc/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1048: No soundcards found...

------------------------------

So then, unsurprisingly-

[root@localhost utils]# ./alsasound status
ALSA sound driver not loaded.

How do I get ALSA to work on RH9? I installed the kernel development stuff but I noticed RH9 doesn't come with the modutils (modprobe, insmod etc.) so I downloaded them and they got installed in /sbin. That leads me to another question about RedHat- where do I alter or add to the PATH statement? I was confused by all that stuff about 'pathmunge' in /etc/profile- I don't know shell scripting so I didn't know what it was meant to do. Is the PATH somewhere else on RH systems?

My final RH9 quirk of the moment is- why does konqueror not work in super user mode? Konq works as a web browser and a 'normal user' file manager but it just exits as soon as I start it in super user mode.

Thanks for your help,

dan

danboid 05-16-03 04:14 AM

Solved!

I found this solution to using the latest ALSA drivers under Redhat 9. The guy who provided the fix was using 0.9.2 but it also works for 0.9.3:

In the file alsa-driver-0.9.2/alsa-kernel/core/init.c you have to skip down pretty far (it is a very long script so use search to save time), and find the section that says:

if (schedule_work(&works))
return 0;

snd_printk(KERN_ERR "kernel_thread failed in snd_card_free_in_thread for
card %i\n", card->number);

and comment it out:

/*if (schedule_work(&works))
* return 0;
*/snd_printk(KERN_ERR "kernel_thread failed in snd_card_free_in_thread
for card %i\n", card->number);

That's it! After making that change, recompile the ALSA-drivers and the modules should install without error!

dan