nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   CryEngine 3 announced! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118139)

Soetdjuret 08-20-08 02:30 AM

CryEngine 3 announced!

CryEngine 3 in 2012

"Speaking at Games Convention Developers Conference 2008 in Leipzig, Germany, Crytek CEO and President Cevat Yerli said the studio's next engine should be ready for sometime in 2012. As of right now, he says, the degree to which graphics can represent real-life is bottlenecked by a lack of new hardware. He says GPU and CPU technology are converging, evident in the new technologies in development at Nvidia and ATI, as well as what Intel's doing with Larrabee. Until the growing trend of CPU and GPU convergence is more defined, developers will have to focus on increased graphical stylization as well as more advanced physics and AI programming.

Crytek's previous engines include the CryEngine 1, which powered the first-person shooter Far Cry in 2004, and CryEngine 2, which was used for Crysis as well as the upcoming Crysis Warhead. Yerli believes this engine technology will be more than sufficient in powering games through 2012, when he expects Microsoft and Sony to release their new consoles.

Development in the future will require studios to more effectively streamline their production processes, both on the technical and office workflow side of things. In five years, Yerli seemed confident that real-time gaming graphics will match current CGI offline rendering. As of right now, Crytek is still working to increase efficiency with its CryEngine 2 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 platforms. Yerli mentioned that the PlayStation 3 required an extra degree of work, but the company is convinced it's worth the effort to get the engine running properly on Sony's platform.

In the latter part of 2009 is when Yerli expects Crytek to begin full production in its next engine, which will be tailored for development across multiple platforms. Until then, he's excited by the gameplay possibilities that may become possible as developers focus on technical aspects aside from graphical realism, though he didn't go into many specific examples of what was possible."

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/899/899974p1.html

Bokishi 08-20-08 02:36 AM

Re: CryEngine 3 announced!

It gonna make Crysis look like Far Cry!

Soetdjuret 08-20-08 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokishi (Post 1750703)

Prolly, or even more...

crainger 08-20-08 03:58 AM

In other words

"CryEngine 2 is too hard to get to run properly. Lets forget about it and do CryEngine 3.".

nekrosoft13 08-20-08 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1750726)
In other words

"CryEngine 2 is too hard to get to run properly. Lets forget about it and do CryEngine 3.".

and yap, they are waiting for new consoles

Quote:

engine technology will be more than sufficient in powering games through 2012, when he expects Microsoft and Sony to release their new consoles.

crainger 08-20-08 08:47 AM

I'm going to release a new console and through his plans completely off. It's a console, that uses mostly PC parts, it's big black, with white controllers, has a kinder surprise style dashboard, you upload real money to an online wallet to buy points to then buy games. It will have component, until enough buy it then HDMI, will come with a DVD drive then a blu ray version will come out just after the HDMI version. Oh and I'll release an addon at some point that lets you play games and maybe watch movies on it. That's still up in the air though.

six_storm 08-20-08 09:28 AM

Yay! More PC raping in 2012!!

SH64 08-20-08 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1750923)
I'm going to release a new console and through his plans completely off. It's a console, that uses mostly PC parts, it's big black, with white controllers, has a kinder surprise style dashboard, you upload real money to an online wallet to buy points to then buy games. It will have component, until enough buy it then HDMI, will come with a DVD drive then a blu ray version will come out just after the HDMI version. Oh and I'll release an addon at some point that lets you play games and maybe watch movies on it. That's still up in the air though.

Pre-ordered :wonder:

To OP , indeed CE2 shall be sufficient for ~3-4yrs seeing no other game not even those coming in 2009 can match it let alone surpassing it.

Igor Vitaly 08-20-08 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokishi (Post 1750703)

Then we would be at the doorstep to virtual reality with that engine....f*ck me when that day comes.

J-Mag 08-20-08 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soetdjuret (Post 1750701)
the degree to which graphics can represent real-life is bottlenecked by a lack of new hardware.

Hasn't this always been the case?

crainger 08-20-08 06:21 PM

It has, but think back to when Video card tech demos always looked better than the games. Now games like Crysis look better than the tech demos, and they aren't even programmed for that card!

CaptNKILL 08-20-08 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1751735)
It has, but think back to when Video card tech demos always looked better than the games. Now games like Crysis look better than the tech demos, and they aren't even programmed for that card!

Exactly.

Crysis may run like ass at full settings, but we've never had games that were so far ahead of everything else in graphics quality.

The engine is waiting for the hardware now.

I really think this will be a game that people will go back and play in a couple years and enjoy far more than they did last year. Everyone kept saying that 20fps was an acceptable framerate for this game, and then went on saying the gameplay sucked. Maybe people will enjoy the game more when they can play it in real time rather than watching a slide show.

I loved it (all but the vtol and ship levels...) but I ran it at rather low settings for my system to keep the framerates fairly high. I can't wait to play it again with a significantly more powerful system.