nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Crysis and paging file (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118141)

DJMONDY 08-20-08 03:21 AM

Crysis and paging file

So, i was fed up of crysis crashing on me all the time and i remembered someone telling me once that if i have loads of ram (which i do) to turn the paging file off...so i did.

Crysis dont crash at all no more. played for hours lastnight and it ran perfect.

Why would turning that off cause the game to be stable?? It was on system managed so i just set it too no paging file.

I dont know if i should set my own one...i wouldnt know what to set it at. any advice appreciated :-)

Im running vista 64Bit and i have 4gig of ram.

Thanks

Dreamingawake 08-20-08 10:06 AM

Re: Crysis and paging file

it helps because once turned off the system no longer access the hard drive
to find the data it's seeking. instead it stores all the data in RAM or
cache memory which is much much faster in terms of access time than seeking
from a hard drive.

this is probably why Crysis doesn't crash now, and with 4gb and vista 64 you
could probably turn that paging file to about 200-500 megs.

DJMONDY 08-20-08 10:41 AM

Thanks matey.

Is it possible the the system managed setting was using most if not all my ram for a paging file and thats what was causing it to crash?

Ill set it too 500 i think. wont need anymore than that will i?

Lfctony 08-20-08 10:52 AM

What kind of crashes were you getting mate?

DJMONDY 08-20-08 11:28 AM

The game would play for about 5-10 mins then i would have to do a hard reset. i would have a constant looping sound otherwise. sometimes the game would crash right beore the next level or checkpoint...stuff like that.

I still have missing rear wheels on the cars too. im running version 1.2.1

Only thing im having trouble with now is the game sometimes resets back to minimsed screen. i have to set it to full screen now and again for some reason. maybe its my virus scanner or something :(

Ive stopped the crashes so im happy :D i can finally play the game now.

On a side note what the best graphics mod out there? rygel's looks really nice...might give it a go.

Lfctony 08-20-08 11:40 AM

People like the CCC 2.2.1 one a lot. It looks decent, and has a small performance hit over high.

NiukNiuk 08-20-08 12:24 PM

Rygel's mod is really great but it freezes the game on certain parts of some levels in my system :( maybe it's because I don't have enough video memory...
Rygel's mod can be used with CCC 2.21, Mster 3.01 or extreme quality mod.
I like CCC 2.21, it gives a cool warm lightning on some maps that I like (village, tank)

Lfctony 08-20-08 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiukNiuk (Post 1751170)
Rygel's mod is really great but it freezes the game on certain parts of some levels in my system :( maybe it's because I don't have enough video memory...
Rygel's mod can be used with CCC 2.21, Mster 3.01 or extreme quality mod.
I like CCC 2.21, it gives a cool warm lightning on some maps that I like (village, tank)

Well, it shouldn't crash the game. Maybe drive performance down due to the lack of texture space but to go as far as crash it... I don't know.

NiukNiuk 08-20-08 01:08 PM

Well the game doesn't crash, but freezes for several seconds, and my hdd works a lot during these freezes...that's why I guess that it is caused by the lack of video memory of my graphic card. I've read similar issues in rygel's thread in crymod's forum.

nekrosoft13 08-20-08 01:19 PM

my crysis only freezes for about a sec, when autosave happens

Igor Vitaly 08-20-08 06:15 PM

Only with Crysis? Otherwise data put in the pagefile may get corrupted leading to crashes.

Lfctony 08-21-08 12:59 AM

BTW Niuk, I understand your pain to install the S1283 on that board... I have a same cooling solution (same circupipe) on my board... It's a bitch! :)