nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Need help extending T1 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118353)

d2thez 08-22-08 11:41 PM

Need help extending T1

Ok,

So we need to extend a T1 line at my job. The CAT6 run is about 400ft and ethernet taps at around 325 per run.

I was told by our parent IT company to just put a switch in the middle of the run and it would work. No dice, I now have a new office going live on Monday with still no answer.

Does anybody know of any good extender/repeater/amplifier for CAT runs?? Any other solutions?

Camp0rz 08-22-08 11:43 PM

Re: Need help extending T1

What do think this is? Some kind of tech related message board?

bob saget 08-22-08 11:47 PM

i am here for midget pr0n and beastiality.

CaptNKILL 08-23-08 02:43 AM

Thread moved.

Be nice guys. ;)

henrybravo 08-23-08 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d2thez (Post 1754317)
Ok,

So we need to extend a T1 line at my job. The CAT6 run is about 400ft and ethernet taps at around 325 per run.

I was told by our parent IT company to just put a switch in the middle of the run and it would work. No dice, I now have a new office going live on Monday with still no answer.

Does anybody know of any good extender/repeater/amplifier for CAT runs?? Any other solutions?

I don't understand. Are you extending a T1 or are you extending ethernet? They are two completely different things.

Ethernet is simple. You pretty much have three options. 1. Install a switch in somewere in between. This is amateurish but it will work. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, a simple little Linksys will work. Option 2: convert your cat6 to fiber using a copper->fiber ethernet transceiver at each end of the run, and run fiber in between the transceivers. Option 3: instead of using cat6, use fiber for the whole run. Of course you'll need a fiber capable switch at each end.

If you're extending a T1, 400 feet is no problem.

HB

d2thez 08-23-08 06:51 AM

Well I think I am extending the T1. In other terminology, I am extending the DeMarc. There is the AT&T circuit block on the wall at the minimum point of entry, and the run between that circuit block and the actual Cisco router they provide is what I am trying to boost/amplify.

It is a patch type RJ-45 cord used, but I am not sure if you consider this to be ethernet or T1.

henrybravo 08-23-08 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d2thez (Post 1754487)
It is a patch type RJ-45 cord used, but I am not sure if you consider this to be ethernet or T1.

OK if you're extending a T1 then the word "ethernet" should not be entering the discussion at all. I think you're thinking of the cat6 cable as an "ethernet" cable. This is not correct terminology because the same type of cable (cat5 or cat6) can be used for T1 and ethernet. I think you confused your parent company by saying "ethernet" because if they had known this is a T1 they never would have suggested a switch in the middle.

OK now that we've got that cleared up, the 400 ft length is not a problem. As a matter of fact, with the Cisco CSU's you can go over 655 ft using the "cablelength long" command.

HB

yuriz43 09-04-08 03:39 PM

A switch will not work, because these devices only forward Ethernet frames. What you need is a T1 repeater. I would search ebay, or pricewatch.