nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1st vs. 3rd person game perspective (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118467)

Vanzagar 08-25-08 08:21 PM

1st vs. 3rd person game perspective

Why oh why do they have to make games in third person perspective only. I don't mean the 3rd person Diablo style, that I can handle because you're in a god or master control mode, but the 3rd person behind the shoulder view just kills games for me...

What I don't get is why people like like 3rd so much, for me I hate looking at the back of the head of some polygon stitched together dude. I've heard some say it makes the game easier cause you can see your surroundings better, but please just turn down the hardness settings. Now if you like to see Laura Crofts "assets" bouncing around then I guess it could make a little more sense, but please then go look up some pron and get the itch over with...

Where as 1st is like being thrown into a novel, it's what your character sees through his/her eyes. Isn't it so much more immersive, and it's that the funnest part, being immersed into this gaming world? Everytime I see the back of my character's head it just kills the immerson factor for me...

I was going to buy Mass Effect, several screenshots had 1st person, but I guess that's used for cut scenes only, but since I dislike this view so much I won't be buying the game.... I love the concept of GTA but I can't get over the 3rd person view... would be awesome to play GTA4 in 1st person, for the PC of course...

What I really don't get is why developers don't give us an option, Oblivion does?? I used to do a little 3d game programming and from what I recall it's just a matter of changing the camera perspective... models would remain the same...

Anyways, just curious as to what the masses prefer vs. what the developers feed us...

NarcissistZero 08-25-08 08:37 PM

Re: 1st vs. 3rd person game perspective

First... I wish more RPGs were first person, like Oblivion... Mass Effect in first person? Wowzers.

I like 3rd too though... glad GTA and Mercenaries and such are in 3rd, as well as Splinter Cell. Can you imagine Splinter Cell in first person? Ewww.

|MaguS| 08-25-08 08:53 PM

If the gameplay suits then im ok whichever it is. Some games work in 1st only and some only in 3rd.

crainger 08-25-08 08:56 PM

Crainger likes both 3rd and 1st person. I agree with |MaNgUS|. Depends on the gameplay really.

Logical 08-25-08 11:03 PM

Idd it does depend on gameplay...i prefer to play Lost Planet in 3rd person but shooters like COD and UT3 have to be 1st person.

I enjoy first person games more as whole though.

LT.Schaffer 08-26-08 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1756763)
Crainger likes both 3rd and 1st person. I agree with |MaNgUS|. Depends on the gameplay really.

+1
Because 3rd is good for games like Hitman/The Witcher/Splinter Cell/etc.
And 1st is good for games like Oblivion/Armed Assault/F.E.A.R/Half Life/Bioshock/etc.

Each is good depending on how the gameplay works.

But i do Agree that it does tend to kill the fun factor sometimes being stuck with 3rd person only:(

CaptNKILL 08-26-08 02:02 AM

It depends on the game, but most of the time the third person over the shoulder view just seems unnecessary and causes the player to get in the way.

If I had the choice between over the shoulder and first person, in 90% of games I'd choose first person.

Exceptions would be games like the witcher that have complex melee combat... but even in that game its a far-away third person camera when you fight and only over the shoulder when your weapon isn't drawn. Only reason the over the shoulder angle is needed is because switching from first to third person all the time for combat would be awkward.

bob saget 08-26-08 04:38 AM

99.9% of the time, 1st person is the only way to go, except when amazing games like mafia come out.

ginfest 08-26-08 05:02 AM

I like either/or, as someone said above, it depends on the game.

BioHazZarD 08-26-08 05:29 AM

1st all the way :D

nutcrackr 08-26-08 05:30 AM

1st mostly, but something like max payne 2 just needs third, the epic dives and slow motion stuff just isn't the same in 3rd person.

Monolyth 08-26-08 09:53 AM

1st person for most shooters. Anything that places you in the middle of tons of enemies though gimme 3rd.