nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Games that push the graphical limits? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118497)

Intel17 08-26-08 10:46 AM

Games that push the graphical limits?

So, I'm wondering: would people rather have games that push the graphical limits and run like crapola at highest settings or games that run well on modern hardware that look good, but don't "push the limits"?

I love new, shiny graphics so I'll go with the first. I mean, there's no shame in playing something at medium and then playing it again maxed out when you get new hardware down the line, right?

I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this...

Revs 08-26-08 11:15 AM

Re: Games that push the graphical limits?

Surely games that run like crapola on the highest setting are the only ones that could be considered to be 'pushing the limit', no?

Of course, it depends on how powerful your rig is, too.

Quick420 08-26-08 11:19 AM

I do the same thing.......if I have to tone it down to maintain playable framerates I will.If the game is worth it,I reinstall it with a next-gen gpu and play through again with maxxed settings and check all the hard work the devs went through.I think most of us do the same???

Mr.Schme 08-26-08 12:11 PM

i like turning up the graphics too. especially in starcraft.

but no, seriously, i'd rather play a game in 'moderate' settings. if a game is really good, i wont even notice if the game has good/bad graphics.

FastRedPonyCar 08-26-08 12:15 PM

I like games that you can't play at absolute max settings just yet... that way, I can play through it and enjoy a killer looking game and then when I get new hardware, I can play through again with better graphics and still enjoy it.

It's like what's happening for me with the HL2 cinematic mod 8. I've played through several times and loved every minute of it but being able to play through something I already know like the back of my hand with highly overhauled graphics seems to give it a fresh new feel as if I'm playing again for the first time.

Same with oblivion and the Quarls texture pack and add on mods. It refreshes a tired old experience and makes it new again.

Now, while looks do matter, gameplay also matters.. as in, how I can still rip through 2001 Diabo II graphics with the same amount of enthusiasm as I did the day I brought it home from the store and how I can't even make it through an hour of playing PREY or FEAR. I just never really could get into the game play or experience of either of those games despite them both looking really good. I beat both of them in all fairness but just never had a desire to spend any more time with them.

Same with the old NES and super NES games. Looks are always optional but they definately help.

CaptNKILL 08-26-08 01:03 PM

Ideally, I want a game that runs as well as previous generation games at settings that make it look comparable. For example, run a new game at medium settings and it looks as good as last year's best looking game at full settings and runs similarly.

I want to be able to turn up the settings for better graphics and if that means I need a hardware upgrade, then that's fine.

I'm not a fan of "improvements" that aren't noticeable but make the game significantly slower or more system intensive. Also, I hate it when certain things are sacrificed so that a game looks WORSE than previous games just to add a new feature.