nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Which is better LED-DLP or LCD? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118830)

mullet 09-02-08 09:04 AM

Which is better LED-DLP or LCD?

What say you.

crainger 09-02-08 09:19 AM

Re: Which is better LED-DLP or LCD?

Shadow Puppets.

mullet 09-02-08 09:28 AM

I knew you would do this.

crainger 09-02-08 11:22 PM

I'm participating.

mullet 09-02-08 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1764843)
I'm participating.

In a non help full way yes. What TV's do you have?

betterdan 09-03-08 12:55 AM

I have a regular bulb DLP and if I were to get another tv it would more than likely be a LED DLP. I love the picture on ours and about the only downside is the bulb needs replaced every so often . I have had to replace it once already with almost 2 years on the tv. The bulb is now $139 but the LED would help with that.
I haven't been impressed with LCD tvs besides the thinness of them but yea DLP is fine with me and you can get a larger size than LCD and for a better price.

Mr. Hunt 09-03-08 01:10 AM

I had a 50 inch DLP for about a year and a half... just last Friday I got me a 52 inch LCD and I love it... picture is great, even when a light is on, or from an angle... DLP looks good if you are perfectly straight on with it with very little light.

mullet 09-03-08 09:22 AM

OK thanks. I think I will get the Samsung 61" or 67" LED-DLP, there shouldn't be any bulb replacement. I like the black level and speed of DLP.

Hunt, do you see any ghosting at all like with sports and so on?

betterdan 09-03-08 09:41 AM

Yea as far as I know DLP still has better blacks than LCD.

I did think of another downside to DLP though if it affects you that is. Some see rainbows of color from the color wheel spinning on a DLP set. I could see them from time to time on really dark backgrounds with bright white objects if I scanned the image on the screen left to right like when the credits roll on a movie. Since I started wearing my glasses (dammit I'm getting old). haven't noticed them. My wife and kids have never noticed them at all and think I am nuts hehe.
LED DLP is supposed to get rid of that phenomenon because it doesn't use a color wheel like the bulb ones did. The LEDs are the source of the color and light.
Hope that helps.

mullet 09-03-08 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 1765119)
Yea as far as I know DLP still has better blacks than LCD.

I did think of another downside to DLP though if it affects you that is. Some see rainbows of color from the color wheel spinning on a DLP set. I could see them from time to time on really dark backgrounds with bright white objects if I scanned the image on the screen left to right like when the credits roll on a movie. Since I started wearing my glasses (dammit I'm getting old). haven't noticed them. My wife and kids have never noticed them at all and think I am nuts hehe.
LED DLP is supposed to get rid of that phenomenon because it doesn't use a color wheel like the bulb ones did. The LEDs are the source of the color and light.
Hope that helps.

Correct on the rainbows, There are 3 LEDs red-blue-green no more color wheels. On a funny note why is it that only men see the small problems with a tv's picture. I can see problems plain as day but my wife just laughs and says she can't see it at all. My wife could barely see the difference between HD-DVD and a regular DVD it drove me nuts. To me its a huge difference.

Mr. Hunt 09-03-08 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 1765137)
Correct on the rainbows, There are 3 LEDs red-blue-green no more color wheels. On a funny note why is it that only men see the small problems with a tv's picture. I can see problems plain as day but my wife just laughs and says she can't see it at all. My wife could barely see the difference between HD-DVD and a regular DVD it drove me nuts. To me its a huge difference.

Because HD-DVD SUXORZ LOLOLOL. J/K lol.

I haven't watched any football or anything yet on this new set, but watching some MMA and I didn't notice any ghosting... Only ghosting I have noticed was when I was playing Warhawk and I had AMP set to high (I think it was high... maybe medium) and the crosshairs would ghost... but I just turned AMP off and it didn't happen.

mullet 09-03-08 11:44 AM

Ok cool.