nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Possible memory leak in nvidia drivers? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118977)

Tomasu 09-05-08 03:11 PM

Possible memory leak in nvidia drivers?

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to be seeing a slow memory leak in the nvidia drivers, as far back as some of the 169's iirc. I've been running KDE 4.1 and svn-trunk for a while now, and have noticed X continually eats up more and more memory, and won't free any of it till X is fully restarted. I end up with X using 800MB+ Virt, and 300-400MB RES ram, and restarting KDE didn't help, I had to CTRL+ALT+BS or use the kdm restart script to get the memory back (even though no X apps besides kdm were running, X wouldn't free most of its used ram).

I've attached a compressed nvidia bug log if it helps any (generated after running for a little while, after restarting X)

edit: if theres a better way to help diagnose it, running extra programs, let me know :)

edit2: forgot to mention, I'm currently running the 177.70 drivers and seen the same thing with the 67 and 68 drivers.

kernelOfTruth 09-06-08 09:58 AM

Re: Possible memory leak in nvidia drivers?

confirmed !

I've seen this kind of behavior, too

you see it most obviously if you're running an compositing-manager (compiz(-fusion), kwin of kde4, ...) for a very long time with loads of animations (open-, close-animation, etc.)

then the resource usage e.g. will go up from RES: 107m -> 178m

switching to a non-compositing window-manager makes it somewhat better but this isn't an option if you're dependent on compositing,

also re-launching compiz doesn't help

the only "solution" so far seems to be to kill X and/or restart X and unload and reload the nvidia module then it's as fast as from the start (bur)

any ideas from the nvidia-developers; AaronP, ... ?

can you reproduce this ?

many thanks in advance

(bump)

TheBlackCat 09-06-08 11:16 AM

I'm seeing the same thing, although I don't know exactly when it started.

spion 09-06-08 01:34 PM

the problem went away for me after disabling vsync and using a correct value for pixmapcachesize.

kernelOfTruth 09-06-08 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spion (Post 1768425)
the problem went away for me after disabling vsync and using a correct value for pixmapcachesize.

what do you mean with 'correct value for pixmapcachesize', please ?

many thanks in advance :)

spion 09-06-08 02:33 PM

oh and i forgot something, i also added this to my "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc"

Code:

export QT_NO_GLIB=1
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

correct pixmapcachesize i mean the following: lots of ppl suggest various settings for it, for example 2000000, i used that, but then i thought.. hmm isnt that too high for my 128 mb ram? so im using 70000 now, and this is much better.

initialpixmapplacement=2 does the following: it trys to fill your video ram before it touches your systemram, so _maybe_ if you set the pixmapcachesize higher than your videoram (in conjunction with pixmapplacement=2) , after some while it starts to fill up your systemram to, but just forgets too release it again, so that the memory usage is slowly growing....

i have no clue if this is right or whatsoever ;) maybe im completely wrong even at the basics...

kernelOfTruth 09-06-08 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spion (Post 1768477)

i have no clue if this is right or whatsoever ;) maybe im completely wrong even at the basics...

oh, don't bother ;)

I'll give it a try & let you guys know if it helps

if it improves things you were on the right track

Quote:

hmm isnt that too high for my 128 mb ram? so im using 70000 now, and this is much better.
just to be sure: that is seventy-thousand, correct ?

spion 09-06-08 03:28 PM

ya i meant seventy thousand(70.000), but i found another typo, i didnt mean 2.000.000 , i meant 200.000

:)

TheBlackCat 09-06-08 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spion (Post 1768477)
correct pixmapcachesize i mean the following: lots of ppl suggest various settings for it, for example 2000000, i used that, but then i thought.. hmm isnt that too high for my 128 mb ram? so im using 70000 now, and this is much better.

So how do you determine the appropriate pixmapcachesize for a given amount of video RAM?

kernelOfTruth 09-06-08 10:14 PM

ok, @nvidia:

after 14 hours and more of operation with compiz-fusion and disabled animations it only consumed 10 mb more 107 -> 117 mb so there definitely seems to be a direct correlation between consumed memory and amount&time animations in the compositing window-manager was used :mohawk::thinker: