nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dual Moniter Questions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119493)

Rival904 09-16-08 11:32 AM

Dual Moniter Questions

Sorry for being a linux noob, I'm trying to figure this out and hopefully make the switch permantly.

Anyways I have dual monitors cant figure out how to get both of them to work, For them bit of research I have done, I have found some words such as X config files and other things of the sort. If anyone could help me tackle this problem, itd be nice and very helpful.

Thanks for you help,
Matt

In case anyone was wondering, I have

Intel Q9300
2GB DDR2 GSKILL
MSI Mobo
500GB WD HDD
7100 onboard graphics (Yes I know, I was recently hurting for money and sold my 8800GTS :( )

NvFuchs 09-16-08 12:01 PM

Re: Dual Moniter Questions

1) make sure the nvidia proprietary driver and nvidia-settings are installed. Read your distribution (e.g. ubuntu, SuSE, mandriva, redhat, fedora) documentation on how to do so, as this is not the same for all distributions.

2) open nvidia-settings (if you want to keep the configuration: open it as root / with sudo)

3) click on X Screen Display Configuration

4) click on detect displays

5) configure the displays

6) if you want to keep the configuration, click on Save to X config file

7) close nvidia-settings

Fuchs

Rival904 09-16-08 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 1778432)
1) make sure the nvidia proprietary driver and nvidia-settings are installed. Read your distribution (e.g. ubuntu, SuSE, mandriva, redhat, fedora) documentation on how to do so, as this is not the same for all distributions.

2) open nvidia-settings (if you want to keep the configuration: open it as root / with sudo)

3) click on X Screen Display Configuration

4) click on detect displays

5) configure the displays

6) if you want to keep the configuration, click on Save to X config file

7) close nvidia-settings

Fuchs

I have heard of "nvidia-settings" tossed around a few times, but was unable to find a link to it and a quick search via google I was unable to produce any results pertaining to my distro, Kubuntu.

So pretty much it sounds like "nvidia-settings" is kinda like Nvidia Control Panel(Windows) but for Linux, correct?

NvFuchs 09-16-08 12:55 PM

Yes, and you need to install the nvidia driver first to get it.

Please do _not_ install it manually, but use the ubuntu package provided for it.

There is a load of documentation on the web on how to get the nvidia driver in *ubuntu.

Fuchs

Rival904 09-16-08 09:38 PM

Ok so got both moniters working, kind of.

The problem I am running into is that my task bar doesnt want to show up on both screens, 2 diff screens, 2 difference resolutions, if this is the problem then please let me know.
I am trying to get a 1440x900 and a 1024x768...

NvFuchs 09-17-08 12:10 PM

Either save the settings to the xorg configuration file and restart your desktop environment, or use fake xinerama. This should put a taskbar on each screen.
With newer (beta) drivers, which you should _not_ install manually in kubuntu, this should not be necessary anymore, and the taskbar is on both screens right after activating them.

There are also differences between different Desktop Environments (Gnome, KDE, XFCE) or Window Managers (fluxbox, ...), so please tell us which one you are using.
Probably with Kubuntu you are using KDE, so this should work.
However, you can configure on which screens the taskbar should appear.

Fuchs