nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Update on the protection in Warhead from cry-alex (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119555)

BioHazZarD 09-17-08 08:47 AM

Update on the protection in Warhead from cry-alex

Just to get that clarified, you can install warhead as often as you want on your PC as long as you do not make major changes to your hardware or re-install Windows.

So you can activate the game on X different PC's, whereas the number has not yet been clarified in the end, but you can install the game as often as you want on each of the PC's.

-alex

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadi...tuser=0&page=3

buuu:thumbdwn:

Crow_Nest 09-17-08 08:55 AM

Re: Update on the protection in Warhead from cry-alex

Fail.

All the more people will pirate it...

ATi 09-17-08 09:07 AM

ea fails so i cant play with my 8800gts today? so i'll waste a install? im going have to wait for 3 days for my 4870x2? ... WEAK:thumbdwn:

|JuiceZ| 09-17-08 09:36 AM

Is the Steam release also subject to this crap?

Jon 09-17-08 09:37 AM

Hmmm, I didn't know anything about Warhead having online activation when I pre-ordered it. Whilst I hate copy protection since its always caused me as a legitimate buyer agro compared to people I know who usually have it earlier than me, free and no copy protection!

In this case, I think at least they will let me install it on more than one PC which they didn't have to do and at least they are selling it cheaper than most expansion packs here. Hopefully when the excitement has died they will just patch out the activation like bioshock did.

Still, I wish they would drop copy protection all together. If I wanted to pirate a game, I can easily obtain them, but I don't... I pay for them. And I always will. So why am I always punished for it?

LurkerLito 09-17-08 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| (Post 1779558)
Is the Steam release also subject to this crap?

That is something a lot of people want to know.

agentkay 09-17-08 09:58 AM

Just uninstall the game (and obviously make sure you are connected to the internet) before you make a major hardware upgrade and it will give you the activation back. Thats how the Securom/online activation system worked in Bioshock, how it works in Spore and in future titles. Only if you decide to keep the game installed and you do a major hardware change chances are the game will think its on a new computer and you will "use up" one of the three installations, but if you properly uninstall it before you do the hardware upgrade you will most likely never even have to call EA to get addional activations.

mailman2 09-17-08 09:58 AM

After dealing with this and Stalker. I pre-ordered Warhead too. I guess Im done buying games as I reinstall and change hardware alot. I'm done dealing with this retarded DRM, I'll be playing but I wont be buying as these restrictions make is impossible to do what I usually do with hardware. Sad that now a game should restrict hardware changes and OS reinstalls. (lee)

Monolyth 09-17-08 10:33 AM

"make major changes to your hardware"

These kinds of protection schemes can go to hell and die, because overclocking (at least with Vista activation) can trigger a re-activation.

One of the primary reasons I stopped using Vista, XP has the same kinda stuff but it's MUCH MUCH MUCH less strict.

LurkerLito 09-17-08 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkay (Post 1779593)
Just uninstall the game (and obviously make sure you are connected to the internet) before you make a major hardware upgrade and it will give you the activation back. Thats how the Securom/online activation system worked in Bioshock, how it works in Spore and in future titles. Only if you decide to keep the game installed and you do a major hardware change chances are the game will think its on a new computer and you will "use up" one of the three installations, but if you properly uninstall it before you do the hardware upgrade you will most likely never even have to call EA to get addional activations.

That is NOT how it works in Spore or Red Alert and from the sound of it Warhead is also the same. You are limited to 3 or 5 activations in Spore and Red Alert. Uninstalling will not give you any of them back. There was a revoke tool for Bioshock that was released later till they removed the limits on the activation scheme a year or more after it's release.

LurkerLito 09-17-08 05:21 PM

Looks like it does have securom on the steam version, I wrote them and I got the following response:
Quote:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The Crysis series uses Securom.

For more information, please contact EA Support:
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg...duser/home.php

bmg 09-17-08 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LurkerLito (Post 1780130)
Looks like it does have securom on the steam version, I wrote them and I got the following response:

Seems kind of pointless to buy it through Steam then.