nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Not the year for blu-ray (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119878)

Lyme 09-24-08 01:17 AM

Not the year for blu-ray

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...downloads.html

Looks like with the demise of hd-dvd, blu-ray has not rallied the muster to improve market share. Maybe next year?

nekrosoft13 09-24-08 07:33 AM

Re: Not the year for blu-ray

price is still the biggest issue

1) players are too expensive
solution: rumor of $150 dollar players for Christmas, still might be to much for some
2) recorders too espensive
3) movies need to be cheaper, for bd to gain market bd movies need to be same price as dvd

crainger 09-24-08 09:11 AM

Panasonic Blu Ray recorder... 1999.00AUD. ::(:

mullet 09-24-08 09:48 AM

The damn movies are to much I mean WTF do they think, Sony wake up movies to high!!!

nekrosoft13 09-24-08 10:38 AM

sony are idiots, when it comes to supporting their own formats.

sony recently announced a 8x bd burner for $400. is it realy woth $170 price difference for 2-3 minutes speed up from 6x?

6x LG burner can be bought for $220.

ViN86 09-24-08 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1786386)
price is still the biggest issue

1) players are too expensive
solution: rumor of $150 dollar players for Christmas, still might be to much for some
2) recorders too espensive
3) movies need to be cheaper, for bd to gain market bd movies need to be same price as dvd

+1

dont forget the fact that most ppl cant tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and BD lol.

high price + no real gain = low adoption rate

once prices drop though, the market will shift towards BD and the sales will pick up. it's just a matter of time.

Q 09-24-08 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1786579)
+1

dont forget the fact that most ppl cant tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and BD lol.

high price + no real gain = low adoption rate

once prices drop though, the market will shift towards BD and the sales will pick up. it's just a matter of time.

Hell, most people can't tell the difference between a standard resolution DVD and BD.

CaptNKILL 09-24-08 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 1786609)
Hell, most people can't tell the difference between a standard resolution DVD and BD.

Yep. Plus, people need an HDTV to take advantage of BD, and I think they're still far from being in every home. I only know one person who has an HDTV and he bought it to play X360 games on.

Give it a couple more years when more people need to replace their aging TV sets. I think we'll see more people taking advantage of HD content since they'll actually have HDTVs.

bacon12 09-24-08 01:03 PM

It is the price, and the reason I didn't buy a br drive for my HTPC build. I was gonna get the LG @$220 but I can't help but think about how the price will drop in the next months.

I won't buy BR disks either, and would be renting them so I will wait till the prices come down.

Monolyth 09-24-08 01:06 PM

I think another turn-off to Blu-Ray are the forced menu's and adverts. Some movies it took me 15 mins just to get to the dang movie menu. Which took a minute to load itself. HD-DVD did it right, no adverts, just straight to the movie with a menu you can access while you watch.

J-Mag 09-24-08 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 1786609)

Yeah, my parents have a blu player, but they still buy regular dvds. Maybe it is a function of reduced vision in older people...

Stoneyguy 09-24-08 02:04 PM

The jump from DVD to BR isn't as profound as the jump from VHS to DVD was. DVDs offered so much more than just a prettier picture. I think people are wanting a similar "WOW!" experience and are just not getting it from BRs. Top off the small evolution BR offers with the premium price they are asking over the price of DVDs and it's easy to see why this format is not catching on.