nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Vista 32/64 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119987)

bacon12 09-25-08 07:27 PM

Vista 32/64

I have most of my components for my htpc, board is posting and I think everything is gonna work out. I just don't know if 64 bit home premium is gonna give me compatibility issues?

I will probably be getting a br drive in the future as I think the price is gonna drop significantly. I just want some feedback on apps, and if there would be any issues with 64 bit. I won't be using a tv tuner right now either, just my movie and music collection, and music streams.

I run 64 bit ultimate in my gaming rig and love it, my htpc will have a 2x2 gig set in it and I want to use if if I need it. What are your experiences with it, any drawnbacks?

Q 09-25-08 07:32 PM

Re: Vista 32/64

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 1788523)
I have most of my components for my htpc, board is posting and I think everything is gonna work out. I just don't know if 64 bit home premium is gonna give me compatibility issues?

I will probably be getting a br drive in the future as I think the price is gonna drop significantly. I just want some feedback on apps, and if there would be any issues with 64 bit. I won't be using a tv tuner right now either, just my movie and music collection, and music streams.

I run 64 bit ultimate in my gaming rig and love it, my htpc will have a 2x2 gig set in it and I want to use if if I need it. What are your experiences with it, any drawnbacks?

In a nutshell, yes. I run several HTPC machines running MCE 2005 and Vista MCE. The 64 bit version caused many more driver headaches.

bacon12 09-25-08 07:35 PM

Bahh, I just want it to work without a whole lot of ****ing around. If I wanted to have to tweak and scour the internets I would install mythdora.

Sazar 09-25-08 07:43 PM

See my signature.

I am running 32-bit on my HTPC simply for compatability but, since my primary media server/system is not having ANY issues (other than the occasional Nvidia BSOD b.s.) I am going to migrate strictly to Vista x64 for my next build. I will continue using Home Premium for my HTPC but will switch it to x64, just have to get an AMD card with HDMI out to reduce cable count/improve driver stability.

Bman212121 09-25-08 08:12 PM

I have 64 bit ultimate on my HTPC and not really any issues there. Movies and music are simple things so it shouldn't be an issue. Trying to get a TV tuner or drivers for capture cards could be where you would run into trouble.

bacon12 09-25-08 10:03 PM

I think I am gonna go with 64 anyways, the lcd display I bought has full support, and the apps I currently use work.

I don't really like MC anyways, and don't use it.

This is the lcd I bought in case anyone is wondering, and I am building the case from scratch. I could have bought a nice htpc case for the money I will have in it, but I want something that will look like a piece of furniture and blend in.

Gonna be fun building something again, and I will post a worklog for you guys to checkout.