nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Trojan Problem, false positive? Still ecnounter errors (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120277)

Mr.Schme 09-30-08 09:29 PM

Trojan Problem, false positive? Still ecnounter errors

Let me list you the events in chronological order.

Two days ago, i download Ultramon, I use it, it works great. (It is the only thing I've installed in the past month)

This morning, I can use winamp without a problem.

When I get home today from work in the afternoon I can also use winamp with no problem.

I head out of the house for a few hours and I come back, I try to use winamp.

My AVG anti-virus says it has detected a threat named "Trojan Horse SHeur.CLZE". I cannot open winamp. This 'trojan' is located in the .exe file of winamp, I delete it. I still cannot open winamp.

I uninstall winamp. I download the .exe file from winamp.com and run it, after it installs i try to launch winamp. I cannot, AVG notifies me that it has detected that trojan again. Windows gives me that error message in which I can send a report to microsoft.

I browse online typing the 'trojan' in google, I find that a lot of people are getting this detection with AVG and AVG only.

I go to http://virusscan.jotti.org/, upload the 'infected' winamp file and the site begins running scans with various other anti-virus software. They detect nothing.

I am thinking this is a false positive, but if so, why can't I open winamp? Why do I still get the error?

Thanks in advance.

ggillespie 09-30-08 11:25 PM

Re: Trojan Problem, false positive? Still ecnounter errors

Same thing happened to me tonight. AVG must've updated today and put in the crappy signature database.

I uninstalled Winamp, then AVG, deleted the Winamp folder, then reinstalled Winamp.

Works again!

Now I'm debating waiting a couple days to try AVG again hoping they get the problem fixed, or go with Avast or Antivir free. Don't like the Avast or Antivir interfaces as much.

My browsing is pretty limited to sites I frequent regularly, so I'll probably just give it a couple days and try AVG again.

Hope this helps

Sazar 09-30-08 11:37 PM

Oops, thought this was a failed contraceptive thread :bleh:

ggillespie 10-01-08 09:28 AM

Ha!! That's hilarious. Ya definitely in the wrong forum.

nekrosoft13 10-01-08 09:31 AM

AVG is notorious for false positives, quite often stuff like that happens when it freaks out about something.

Mr.Schme 10-01-08 01:53 PM

roger that. I'll try out what gill has done when i get home.

And to you two, yes, i reread the title and is does sound... like its suppose to be somewhere else. lol.

ggillespie 10-02-08 10:29 AM

Went with Avast home 4.8. Seems fine so far, system is stable, performance is good and Winamp still works without issue.

XDanger 10-13-08 04:55 PM

Just now AVG 8 free has detected everything in Zonealarm lib. as a threat/trojan on my gf's laptop

crainger 10-14-08 01:00 AM

gg AVG

gg

Piss it off and get Avast. Best free AV right now IMHO. AVG is just too bloated. 7.5 was great. 8 is just ::(:

ggillespie 10-14-08 01:04 PM

Ditto. Avast is workin' great for me and I'm now installing it to my clients' systems.

Mr.Schme 10-15-08 02:47 PM

I'll do that when I get home. I did try out what you said gill and it did work. I just haven't scanned the winamp folder again so who really knows if it really DID work lol. But I'll get Avast.

XDanger 10-16-08 01:54 PM

avast now for me.