nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   HD DVD Still Alive in the U.S (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120339)

nekrosoft13 10-01-08 06:45 PM

HD DVD Still Alive in the U.S

The stocked HD DVD players and HD DVD movies in the inventory of some retailers in the U.S combined with their very low price have breathed new life into Toshiba's HD DVD format.

It is hard to believe that buyers would ever choose to purchase an HD DVD player of disc now, provided that Toshiba and Hollywood have abandoned the format since last January. However, tough economic conditions as well as aggressive price cuts have maintained the market for HD DVD players, which also perform exceptionally as standard DVD players.

The last HD DVD movie releases - which include some recent blockbusters, such as American Gangster - are currently cost as little as $10, while players can be picked up for less than $60. This has maintained some demand for the format, which continues to be supported by online retailers, smaller electronics chains and second-hand stores.

"We expected to see a huge increase in Blu-ray sales and HD DVD dying [when Blu-ray won the format war] but it just hasn't happened," said Jeff Wisot, vice-president of marketing with Buy.com, in a statement released to Financial Times.

"HD DVD sales are still very strong," he added.

Distribution Video & Audio, the largest buyer of excess video and audio inventory, has reportedly bought millions of unsold HD DVDs that were returned to the studios by big retailers. More than 1m units have been resold to online retailers and discount stores and expect to sell another 2m-3m in the run-up to Christmas.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=24104

mullet 10-02-08 12:50 AM

Re: HD DVD Still Alive in the U.S

Blu Ray movies are to damn high!!!! I have picked up some good HD DVD's for 10.00 as well.

Bman212121 10-02-08 12:59 AM

When HD-DVD players cost less than an upconvert DVD player and the movies cost less than the DVD version, it definitely helps. Kind of funny how that works out.

crainger 10-02-08 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 1795264)
Blu Ray movies are to damn high!!!! I have picked up some good HD DVD's for 10.00 as well.

Same here. Beagle and I grabbed 20-30 HD DVDs at 10.00 each. The players however, any place that actually has stock of them is still charging full price. ::(:

mullet 10-03-08 09:39 AM

I knew once Blu-Ray won they were gonna jack all there prices. Does anyone know where is the best place to get cheap Blu-Ray movies or is it non existent.

nekrosoft13 10-03-08 09:49 AM

netflix, why buy them.

i stoped collecting movies, went through a lot of VHS, then started collecting DVDs. no more. no more money waisting.

six_storm 10-03-08 11:38 AM

If Blu-Ray movies would drop down to $10-$15, BR sales would skyrocket. $30 is just ridiculous unless you are buying some Ultra Edition with 500+ features.

Monolyth 10-03-08 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 1796779)
If Blu-Ray movies would drop down to $10-$15, BR sales would skyrocket. $30 is just ridiculous unless you are buying some Ultra Edition with 500+ features.

Aye prices are way too high, I have a list that I only buy when they go on sale somewhere, I'm starting to think about going to netflix though, their selection is quite nice and the idea of collecting loses its luster if formats change every 5 years and you have to keep re-buying the same movies.

IMHO the features are also part of the problem. HD DVD's you just pop in and the movie starts. No stupid menu's, transitions, etc. And I loved the in-movie menu. I've only seen a couple Blu-Ray's follow this.

Now we get 15 minute previews, commercials, GAH!

npras42 10-03-08 01:52 PM

Quote:

I agree. I'm amazed at these business decisions sometimes. They could take a hit on price like they do with games consoles and make the films cheaper and just take over the market. Surely in the long term the video business is a better bet than the console business for profit making?

I dunno. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the finances involved so I could be totally wrong.

|JuiceZ| 10-03-08 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npras42 (Post 1796957)
I agree. I'm amazed at these business decisions sometimes. They could take a hit on price like they do with games consoles and make the films cheaper and just take over the market. Surely in the long term the video business is a better bet than the console business for profit making?

I dunno. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the finances involved so I could be totally wrong.

I'm with you on that man. BR prices frustrate me to death. Netflix is the way to go nowadays, gone are the days of building big movie collections its a waste of money because media is so easily accessible in this day and age. We only buy BR when its on a sale and its a movie we really love. Studios are dumb if they think consumers are gonna pay $30/disc for old movies that have already been re re re re released again with the same content :rolleyes:

nekrosoft13 10-03-08 04:44 PM

Quote:

i never watch any of that extra crap, give me just a movie for less then half the price

crainger 10-03-08 08:41 PM

I'm only interested in special features on pr0noes.