nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   No more black terminals after starting X!!!! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120492)

iro 10-04-08 08:40 AM

No more black terminals after starting X!!!!

I have solved my problem with black terminals (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F1) after X starts. All I did was to set to 0 the NVreg_UseVBios nvidia kernel module parameter. On my distro (Gentoo) I modified /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia and rebooted.

Hope this can help others who have the same problem!

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm using 177.78 but I think the version doesn't matter

you can see if the parameter is setted correctly by cat'ing /proc/driver/nvidia/registry

martini 10-04-08 09:57 AM

Re: No more black terminals after starting X!!!!

great! this also works for me!
thanx a lot!

hvw59601 10-04-08 11:03 AM

But how did you figure it out?

Hugo

logan 10-04-08 11:04 AM

What does this variable do? There isn't much in nv-reg.h:
Code:

/*
 * Option: UseVBios
 * Description:
 * Use Video BIOS int10 code
 * Default value: 1
 */

Maybe that's all there is to say, but it doesn't mean anything to me.

iro 10-04-08 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvw59601 (Post 1797824)
But how did you figure it out?

Did it help you?

I was playing with module parameters to enable the experimental MSI support I've read about in a recent release announcement. Since I couldn't find any info about it on the Internet I did
"modinfo nvidia" that showed me that interesting VBios option, so I simply tried and it worked :)

GiorgosKo 10-04-08 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan (Post 1797826)
Maybe that's all there is to say, but it doesn't mean anything to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INT_10

hvw59601 10-04-08 11:34 AM

I have a different "black terminal" problem: sometime after starting X I cannot switch tty anymore because of a segfault of the v86d uvesafb companion piece: segfault: Trying to access an unsupported memory region

That happens with 173.14.12 and 96.43.07 and an GeForce 6200 AGP.

I then went back to my prior MX 4000 AGP that I just replaced but never had that failure.

I haven't tried 177.78 yet but I don't see NVreg_UseVBios in 96.43.07 that I am now running with.

Hugo

iro 10-04-08 11:43 AM

That's definitely a different problem... But why do you inflict yourself the pain of having another userspace program messing around with your video device in addition to Xorg (that already does a load of ****ty things)? I think they call it masochism :p

mrkslack 10-04-08 03:19 PM

No luck for me!
Code:

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/registry
EnableVia4x: 0
EnableALiAGP: 0
NvAGP: 3
ReqAGPRate: 15
EnableAGPSBA: 0
EnableAGPFW: 0
Mobile: 4294967295
ResmanDebugLevel: 4294967295
RmLogonRC: 1
ModifyDeviceFiles: 1
DeviceFileUID: 0
DeviceFileGID: 0
DeviceFileMode: 438
RemapLimit: 0
UpdateMemoryTypes: 4294967295
UseVBios: 0
RMEdgeIntrCheck: 1
UsePageAttributeTable: 4294967295
EnableMSI: 0

terminals remains black with 9600GT and 177.70 or 177.78

martini 10-04-08 04:29 PM

logan:

usually the driver is setting the video mode by writing to the registers on the graphic card directly.

every graphic card also implements the int10 bios hooks (some of this interrupts are usually called if your pc is booting the first seconds with a black background) where you can e.g. set some different graphic modes by calling the interrupt 10 with some specific values in the cpu registers. this interrupt call executes a piece of code copied from the graphic card (this has nothing to do with the driver and is not part of the driver) to the main memory at boot time and sets (obviously) the correct mode.

so instead of writing the gpu registers directly by the driver, the driver just calls interrupt 10 with some specific parameters to set the mode.

therefore i think if the bios code on the graphic card is able to switch to the correct mode, the driver itself missed to write to some registers or to write the correct values.

---

edit: i just saw that this parameter switches off using the bios mode. therefore the driver code is used to set the mode instead the bios code which means that the bios code is broken.

hvw59601 10-05-08 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iro (Post 1797852)
That's definitely a different problem... But why do you inflict yourself the pain of having another userspace program messing around with your video device in addition to Xorg (that already does a load of ****ty things)? I think they call it masochism :p

Long story! Using the Debian Sid kernels I cannot get framebuffers with the standard vesafb, only with uvesafb. So using 'vga=791' does nothing with a Debian post 2.6.24 kernel. But when I compile the kernel from kernel.org it *does* work.

But my problem of the "black terminal" does not occur when I use my older MX4000 AGP. Figure that.

Hugo

mrkslack 10-26-08 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvw59601 (Post 1798582)
Long story! Using the Debian Sid kernels I cannot get framebuffers with the standard vesafb, only with uvesafb.

thanks hvw59601.
I solved my black console problem: I simply recompiled the kernel replacing the vesafb with uvesafb.
Non only I solved the problem but now I can use the right resolution for my monitor because uvesafb haven't the limit of 1024x768