nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121077)

MrSavoy 10-13-08 12:44 PM

Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but whatever.
I have been reading this forum for a long time now and for the last year I constantly see more new threads about some political bs or some other obscure non hardware related talk. I frequent many other hardware forums as well, and just as I do here, I tend to hit new posts and what comes up here is very annoying. More than half of new posts here are NON hardware/software/gaming related. Maybe a lot of members here are happy with that but I am not, hence tne reason for this thread.

I thought this was an nvidia fansite, not a place where people link every retarded political piece of fluff. If I wanted to read about that crap I wouldn't come here. :(

I know I can't be alone in how I feel about this. I wanted to make mention of this because I find myself coming here less as a result of the lack of interesting info on these forums. Sure if I wanna read one of the 100000 Palin posts I might come more often, but I don't come here for that. I like this site but hardocp,anandtech xtremesystems etc are all getting a lot more of my time these days.

/rant.

DiscipleDOC 10-13-08 12:51 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
This is an nVidia fansite, and we happen to have a a forum for politics as well. Most websites have the same type of format. A lot of people are comfortable in talking about pretty much anything here...so I can't say that is a bad thing.

And as for the other sites...they have the same issue. Maybe not to the same degree, but I know that those other site have open forums where you are allowed to "express yourself".

MrSavoy 10-13-08 01:00 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC (Post 1807457)
This is an nVidia fansite, and we happen to have a a forum for politics as well. Most websites have the same type of format. A lot of people are comfortable in talking about pretty much anything here...so I can't say that is a bad thing.

And as for the other sites...they have the same issue. Maybe not to the same degree, but I know that those other site have open forums where you are allowed to "express yourself".

I appreciate what your saying Disciple but, I do notice A LOT more off topic non hardware related talk here percentage wise than any other hardware related forums. I'm not saying people shouldn't express themselves but when it seems to overtake the main focus of this site I get a little turned off.

DiscipleDOC 10-13-08 01:21 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSavoy (Post 1807466)
I appreciate what your saying Disciple but, I do notice A LOT more off topic non hardware related talk here percentage wise than any other hardware related forums. I'm not saying people shouldn't express themselves but when it seems to overtake the main focus of this site I get a little turned off.

How does it take away the main focus? When I first started visiting this site, I was having graphical issues, and I got the help that I needed, and I've been around ever since. I've never noticed any questions going unanswered (tech or non-tech), so I really started liking this place.

This is an nVidia fansite, but it is more family-friendly than a lot of other sites that I've been to.

methimpikehoses 10-13-08 01:24 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
No one is holding you here.

Bman212121 10-13-08 02:29 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
It's quite simple why there is a lot of political talk right now. We are just before a major election so there are plenty of things to debate about. In the hardware world it is kind of quiet right now, so there aren't as many topics at hand. Once the election is over the P & R forum will slow down and when the next round of cards come out this place will be buzzing with information.

DiscipleDOC 10-13-08 02:31 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 1807570)
It's quite simple why there is a lot of political talk right now. We are just before a major election so there are plenty of things to debate about. In the hardware world it is kind of quiet right now, so there aren't as many topics at hand. Once the election is over the P & R forum will slow down and when the next round of cards come out this place will be buzzing with information.

That pretty much sums up the my feelings, too.

MrSavoy 10-13-08 03:28 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by methimpikehoses (Post 1807491)
No one is holding you here.

^
Always one as shole in tne bunch. Thanks for the rude comment.

To everyone else I appreciate your comments but I still see more off topic discussion here than anywhere else. Hardware being released or not doesn't mean I see more off topic on other forums. It's unique to here but that's just how it is.

wwec 10-13-08 04:35 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew should probably exclude the political/religion sections imho.

methimpikehoses 10-13-08 08:24 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSavoy (Post 1807616)
^
Always one as shole in tne bunch. Thanks for the rude comment.

To everyone else I appreciate your comments but I still see more off topic discussion here than anywhere else. Hardware being released or not doesn't mean I see more off topic on other forums. It's unique to here but that's just how it is.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to be as rude as it sounded. I just don't understand why you would complain about an internet forum when there are a million other ones to read.

crainger 10-13-08 09:41 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSavoy (Post 1807616)
^
Always one as shole in tne bunch. Thanks for the rude comment.

To everyone else I appreciate your comments but I still see more off topic discussion here than anywhere else. Hardware being released or not doesn't mean I see more off topic on other forums. It's unique to here but that's just how it is.

nvnews is unique, it's a different sort of tech community. It started that way and you know how a community works, those who like it fit in and stay, others move on. So Nvnews grew as a community that are open and sharing and not afraid to have a laugh and perhaps take thing that little bit to far. I've tried being a member at other forums that are strictly hardware or strictly gaming. it's just not the same. It's all so serious. Least here I can kick back in the open forum and see what everyone else is up to in their lives.

Also a lot of people dismiss the linux forums. A lot of nvidia related discussion in there. Probably the premier source of Linux/Nvidia information on the net.

CaptNKILL 10-13-08 10:58 PM

Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 1807915)
nvnews is unique, it's a different sort of tech community. It started that way and you know how a community works, those who like it fit in and stay, others move on. So Nvnews grew as a community that are open and sharing and not afraid to have a laugh and perhaps take thing that little bit to far. I've tried being a member at other forums that are strictly hardware or strictly gaming. it's just not the same. It's all so serious. Least here I can kick back in the open forum and see what everyone else is up to in their lives.

Also a lot of people dismiss the linux forums. A lot of nvidia related discussion in there. Probably the premier source of Linux/Nvidia information on the net.

I agree.

For what its worth though MrSavoy, it sounds like you're just viewing the forums by clicking the "new posts" button, which is why you're getting all politics.

If you view the individual forums and stay out of the PF you will see no politics. We strictly regulate all political discussion to the political forum. If you want to talk about hardware or gaming, go to the hardware or gaming forums. The Open and Political forums are separated for this very reason.

We're currently less than a month away from the presidential elections and they are extremely controversial... even more than usual. And there haven't been many significant hardware releases recently. Plus, with the economy in the crapper, companies and consumers have less cash to blow on technology.

All of that should be taken into account, as well as what crainger said about this being a very diverse community.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.