nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   9800GTX or GTX280 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121454)

Bee_Dee_3_Dee 10-19-08 10:54 AM

9800GTX or GTX280
 
My 23 month old 8800GTX failed last Tuesday so I ordered a 9800GX2 that I had been looking at for quite some time; and in less than 18 hours it was delivered to my door (from Newegg or course). yay! (And yes the 8800GTX will be replaced in a couple of weeks by BFG np. yay!)

But even after getting the 9800GX2 for the dirt cheap price of $279; I wasn't the least bit satisfied. And the reason why is that my two year old 8800GTX had just simply done an all around, unbelievable job performance wise, especially with games at 16X AA. Whereby the new 9800GX2 is only awesome when AA turned off, but has dreadfully slow FPS with as little as 2X AA. :(

Question(s) plz ty:

1. Should I get a GTX280 instead?

(RMAing the 9800GX2 already; GTX280 will be here Tuesday. :) Sry I just had to do it. ;) )

2. Has anyone else been in my boat before? (8800GTX to 9800GX2 to GTX280?)

3. And that leaves the possibility of the Trade-Up program (BFG).

4. What should I hope for when it comes to the next 100 days and trading up my GTX280?

.
.
.
.
.

<<< System Summary >>>
> Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G
> Chipset : Intel P31/P35
> Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3700 MHz
> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
> DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
> Monitor Type : ViewSonic VX2835wm - 27 inches
> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional
.
.
.

Xion X2 10-19-08 11:15 AM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
The gx2 is not that great as it only has 512MB of VRAM and will struggle with AA. You'd be much better off with a 280, 260 or one of ATI's 4-series cards like the 4870 1GB or 4870X2.

If you're sold on multi-GPU cards, the 4870X2 is where it's at. For the strongest single GPU card, look to the 280.

Lfctony 10-19-08 11:31 AM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
1. You did the correct thing. A GTX280 should offer a better overall experience...

methimpikehoses 10-19-08 11:34 AM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
yep, 280 FTW.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee 10-19-08 02:12 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lfctony (Post 1813647)
1. You did the correct thing. A GTX280 should offer a better overall experience...

Cool, ty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1813639)
The gx2 is not that great as it only has 512MB of VRAM and will struggle with AA. You'd be much better off with a 280, 260 or one of ATI's 4-series cards like the 4870 1GB or 4870X2.

If you're sold on multi-GPU cards, the 4870X2 is where it's at. For the strongest single GPU card, look to the 280.

I cant bare to switch to AMDATI. I started gaming four years and have had:
5900, 6200, 6600 (AGP), 6600, 7800GT, 7950GT, 8800GTX, 9800GX2, and now the GTX280. w00t! (Tuesday)

Quote:

Originally Posted by methimpikehoses (Post 1813649)
yep, 280 FTW.

ty

meddilion 10-19-08 03:19 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee (Post 1813781)
Cool, ty.



I cant bare to switch to AMDATI. I started gaming four years and have had:
5900, 6200, 6600 (AGP), 6600, 7800GT, 7950GT, 8800GTX, 9800GX2, and now the GTX280. w00t! (Tuesday)



ty


ATI has made a huge comeback since the 2900 series, you really cannot go wrong with either one now. If I were you I would go with either a 260 and overclock it to 280 speeds which most will easily do or go with a 1gb HD4870. 280's are nice cards but imo they are still to expensive considering how easy it is to get a 260 to perform on par with one with an overclock and save yourself close to $180 at the same time.

But if you must absolutely have the best single GPU and money is not an issue then by all means get the 280 and overclock it. Or as Xion said the HD 4870X2 is where it is at for dual gpu solutions and the card will rock your socks off.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee 10-19-08 04:22 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meddilion (Post 1813810)
ATI has made a huge comeback since the 2900 series, you really cannot go wrong with either one now. If I were you I would go with either a 260 and overclock it to 280 speeds which most will easily do or go with a 1gb HD4870. 280's are nice cards but imo they are still to expensive considering how easy it is to get a 260 to perform on par with one with an overclock and save yourself close to $180 at the same time.
But if you must absolutely have the best single GPU and money is not an issue then by all means get the 280 and overclock it. Or as Xion said the HD 4870X2 is where it is at for dual gpu solutions and the card will rock your socks off.

Indeed!
And wow!
I totally agree. It hasn't been since the 6200 days that I've contemplated trying to get the performance of a more expensive card out of the less expensive version. I wonder how close to performance of a GTX280 some ppl have gotten with a GTX260. The savings could easily be $150 to $200 for right now! And that could get you a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU and a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H MOBO! If you include the GTX260 the grand total without RAM, $400?

I've already, "(RMAing the 9800GX2 already; GTX280 will be here Tuesday. Sry I just had to do it.)" Because I was so dissatisfied with the 9800GTX.

But yes Meddilion, the GTX260 is definitely the way to go for countless scenarios. In addition to upgrading for example, a brand new system with a budget of under $600. And you have the trade up programs to consider too. Meaning that you could easily end up with a GTX280 for very little if its price dropped just right and in a timely manner.

What I want is a miracle and to trade up from a GTX280 to a GTX380 AS IF it was going to be released in less than 100 days. :D But then I also want to also get a kit to print actual certified money. :D

meddilion 10-19-08 04:29 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee (Post 1813880)
I wonder how close to performance of a GTX280 some ppl have gotten with a GTX260.


I have seen some benchmarks that show it to be just as fast and in some cases even faster with a nice overclock of around 670-700mhz on the core and around 1400mhz on the shaders.


My 260 for example is rock stable at 760core 1534shader and 2600mem, that is enough to constantly out do a stock 280. Keep in mind you can also overclock the 280 but it has been shown that they dont overclock as well as the 260's on average.

I hope you enjoy your 280, its a heck of a good card.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee 10-19-08 07:26 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meddilion (Post 1813885)
I have seen some benchmarks that show it to be just as fast and in some cases even faster with a nice overclock of around 670-700mhz on the core and around 1400mhz on the shaders.


My 260 for example is rock stable at 760core 1534shader and 2600mem, that is enough to constantly out do a stock 280. Keep in mind you can also overclock the 280 but it has been shown that they dont overclock as well as the 260's on average.

I hope you enjoy your 280, its a heck of a good card.

Cool.

So what is the dif Meddilion?

Is a 260 merely a slow 280 or is there a bigger difference than just their clock(s) speed?

meddilion 10-19-08 07:40 PM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee (Post 1813948)
Cool.

So what is the dif Meddilion?

Is a 260 merely a slow 280 or is there a bigger difference than just their clock(s) speed?

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/gtx280/print

GTX 280 has more shaders, texture units, memory and rops along with a slightly wider bus.

The increase however is not that huge and a nicely overclocked GTX 260 can hang with a stock 280 as I mentioned before.

However once you overclock the 280 it will again pull away some from the 260.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee 10-20-08 09:37 AM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meddilion (Post 1813955)
http://www.digital-daily.com/video/gtx280/print

GTX 280 has more shaders, texture units, memory and rops along with a slightly wider bus.

The increase however is not that huge and a nicely overclocked GTX 260 can hang with a stock 280 as I mentioned before.

However once you overclock the 280 it will again pull away some from the 260.

Meddilion,

Great review I bookmarked it.

I agree that the 260 is the way to go. And to think the price may dip below $200 soon!

Nobody should get a 9800GX2 when a 260 is cheaper AND you OC it!

My excuse for having bought the 9800GX2 is having done so out of desperation. (8800GTX broke and i wanted to avoid jonesing for video games. :D)

But I'm stuck with a 280 I guess. ;) (I'd been saving for two years and had the extra $200 in the budget. :))

Maybe I can upgrade the 280 I ordered to a 55nm 280 in less than 100 days. *fingers crossing

When I install my 280 tomorrow:

1. Before removing the 9800GX2 should I uninstall the PhysX Driver first and then the Video Driver? (Or does uninstalling the Video Driver remove both?)

2. Run DriverSweeper on safe mode?

3. Then physically remove the 9800GX2 and physically install my new 280?

(I think thats how- 1. to 3.- I did it last week when going from an 8800GTX to the 9800GX2.)

4. Any other helpful info plz?

ty

john19055 10-21-08 04:09 AM

Re: 9800GTX or GTX280
 
Go with the GTX 280 ,the 9800GX2 my be faster in some games ,but the GTX 280 have more vram and you get better min FPS with a GTX 280 and the GTX 280 just looks better,I ran two 9800GTX in SLI for over a month and when I put my BFG GTX 280 OCX back in ,it just ran better,and looked better.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.