nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   libm.so.3 conflicts with libm.so.5 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121462)

anthony-nv 10-19-08 01:26 PM

libm.so.3 conflicts with libm.so.5

Hello, I just installed the 177.80 driver on Freebsd 7.0 and then subsequently installed
the compat-5x package because it told me to. Now I get a warning when compiling :

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libm.so.3, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so, may conflict with libm.so.5

which turns out to be true because my program core dumps. It was was working fine before this driver install.:(

SirDice 10-20-08 02:35 AM

Re: libm.so.3 conflicts with libm.so.5

Weird, I never got that error message.. How did you install compat-5x?
Using the port or package?

anthony-nv 10-20-08 06:00 PM

I installed a package via sysinstall.

ZOleg 10-20-08 07:30 PM

anthony-nv
Deinstall compat-5, update port tree with csup or cvsup and install compat-5 from ports.

anthony-nv 10-21-08 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this. From what I remember, the ports are sources that the user must build themselves instead of having the ease of package installation procedures so I'm not sure what the difference will make but I'm willing to try it. It seems i'm uninstalling/reinstalling FBSD often :P
(nana2)
once i enabled GLBlendFunc() i suffered a severe decrease in framerate so hardware accel is
needed in today's world i guess.

Wish me luck. Do you think this cutting edge or obscure and unsupported configurations? I started out compiling on windows but you know how that is and with Linux i completely botched my system with the nvidia driver. It seems to me that FreeBSD is really the only serious way to go.

A

SirDice 10-22-08 01:32 AM

Building from ports is really easy.. In the 10 years I've been using FBSD I only encountered maybe 2 or 3 times where something didn't want to build. Csup'ing the ports tree fixed that.

Building from source has the advantage of selecting the options you want/need. It's also slightly more up2date compared to the pre-build packages.

And you really don't want to know how many times I've re-installed everything from scratch the past decade ;)

Tip: Create a seperate partition for /usr/home. That'll make re-installing the OS simpler, without nuking your files :D

anthony-nv 10-23-08 08:06 PM

Same issues. It's obviously a library conflict issue. I must be doing something wrong so i'll keep looking/trying.

btw
compat-5x-i386-5.4.0.8_8 = up-to-date with port

I'm considering installing FBSD 5.3.