nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Other Desktop Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   nVidias Dawn on R3x0 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12210)

Ratchet 05-22-03 02:13 AM

nVidias Dawn on R3x0

Not nVidia hardware related, but sort of nVidia related none-the-less.

Rage3D was sent an OpenGL wrapper by some MIT computer student which let's > Radeon 9500 users run the Dawn demo in all her glory - check it out here.

Run's awesome on my 9700 Pro. Built in nudity too, but you'll have to figure that one out for yourselfs ;)

Sazar 05-22-03 03:05 AM

Re: nVidias Dawn on R3x0

Quote:

Originally posted by Ratchet
Not nVidia hardware related, but sort of nVidia related none-the-less.

Rage3D was sent an OpenGL wrapper by some MIT computer student which let's > Radeon 9500 users run the Dawn demo in all her glory - check it out here.

Run's awesome on my 9700 Pro. Built in nudity too, but you'll have to figure that one out for yourselfs ;)

I am a touch disappointed... though it may just be me...

yes... dawn's skin looks great but her hair and clothes and eyes and everything else just look nutty :(

compare this with the truck demo video or the toys.. I am underwhelmed...

I suppose the nudity factor is what drove people to make the wrapper for this :) but other than that I for one am not impressed with dawn...

TBH... in technical terms I much prefer the ati demos... chimp in particular...

OTOH I would love to see the toys or truck demo's with a wrapper proggy as they seem to be quite interesting...

dawn nude == novelty... I reckon...

-edit- ok.. changed settings to 1600x1200... and looks a damn sight better than @ 1024x768

still lacking a touch after all teh hype... but a lot better than @ low res... for sure...

Clockwork 05-22-03 03:51 AM

Yeah..Its great that we can run this on our cards. Does this patch work with any of the other ones?

Here's a screenshot I took:

http://home.new.rr.com/clockwork2002/dawn9700pro.jpg

1024x768, 4x AA 16x Quality AF

ChrisRay 05-22-03 03:57 AM

I dunno Sazar, Her hair looks great, Did you run Dawn "Normal" Or Dawn Ultra. there's a huge difference,

Never seen such lifelike hair, Facial features ect

Ratchet 05-22-03 04:25 AM

no, doesn't work with the other demos unfortunatly. Not sure if that guy is going to try and get them working or not, but I'll see what I can find out...

bkswaney 05-22-03 04:41 AM

She is great! :D

Nvidia makes the best demo's.
How many FPS is dawn running on your 9700?

I cannot wait to get my hands on Dusk.
Well get her cloths off that is. :angel:

One thing's for sure. Nvidia and ATI's tech
are very close at this point.
Each card can render some amazing stuff. :) :)
You cannot go wrong with Nvidia or ATI's high end video cards.

tertsi 05-22-03 05:27 AM

Well there is a huge difference between NV3x and R3x0 cards. Example look the hair, its robust (not blended) with R300+. Also skin is less-detailed with R3x0, because of FP24 precision. Some other features missed too (like eyelashes).

Still, Dawn is nice demo, even with R3x0 cards.. have fun :)

Clockwork 05-22-03 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tertsi
Well there is a huge difference between NV3x and R3x0 cards. Example look the hair, its robust (not blended) with R300+. Also skin is less-detailed with R3x0, because of FP24 precision. Some other features missed too (like eyelashes).

I attribute most of these things to the fact that the demo is STILL running under an openGL wrapper...

I also don't think your fp24 argument holds any merit whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

tertsi 05-22-03 06:00 AM

Sure it's run under wrapper, but image quality is NOT like NV3x's.

Dawn screenshot with 5800 Ultra (Performance, AA 4x, AF 8x) and Ultra setup

But anyway, have fun with Dawn!

StealthHawk 05-22-03 06:24 AM

This is more pertinent to Other Graphics Cards :D

MrNasty 05-22-03 06:34 AM

I'd say it looks better than on GFFX thanks to atis superiour AA.

StealthHawk 05-22-03 06:42 AM

Who else finds this interesting?

Quote:

The following was said about the opengl wrapper:

It runs 15% faster than NV30 on the 9800pro, and it also runs faster than NV35 (we are unable to personally confirm this but a user with both cards and FRAPS could).
Creates higher quality images than the original due to the normalization being done in a fragment program (dp3/rsq/mul) instead of in a normalization cubemap which the FX extensions does directly in hardware
The OpenGL wrapper adds more overhead, as it has to interperet code calls for Nvidia extensions and map them to ATI/ARB extensions, and yet it still runs faster on the ATI card, due to its more sophisticated pixel shader engine.
That's um, scary.