nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Blu-ray Playback (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122330)

Xion X2 11-01-08 11:38 PM

Blu-ray Playback

Does anyone have any good suggestions for software that will allow playback of blu-rays straight from the optical drive instead of having to rip them? I have tried Nero 9, and even with the blu-ray plugin it doesn't work. I've also tried AnyDvd.

Using Vista64.

At the moment, these drives seem pretty useless since I can't find a software package that will allow playback. I wanted this PC to double as an HTPC. Thanks.

Starscream 11-01-08 11:50 PM

Re: Blu-ray Playback

I'd say give PowerDVD a shot.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html

mullet 11-02-08 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream (Post 1830972)

+1

XxDeadlyxX 11-02-08 12:49 AM

I use PowerDVD 8.0 Ultra combined with AnyDVD HD. Great combo.

Xion X2 11-02-08 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX (Post 1831028)
I use PowerDVD 8.0 Ultra combined with AnyDVD HD. Great combo.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone running PowerDVD ever had a compatibility issue with any of their blu-rays?

nekrosoft13 11-02-08 01:57 AM

what do you mean didn't work?

because i did try nero showtime 8 before, it worked fine. right now I use powerDVD 8 ultra.

i know how much you love ATI(so you might not believe it), but i'm having issues with blu-ray playback on my HTPC with 3450. card should be handle it fine, but on some BD i have frame rate skipping issue.

still trying to figure out that issue.

Xion X2 11-02-08 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1831087)
what do you mean didn't work?

As in it wouldn't play. Showtime would tell me that it didn't recognize the format and to go through the media file. Going through the media file did the same thing.

It's a well-documented issue on the web. Lots of people are having no luck with it.

Quote:

i know how much you love ATI(so you might not believe it)
I have owned both Nvidia and ATI hardware and do not believe that ATI is perfect. I spent 1200$ on Nvidia graphics cards last gen and also have close friends with Nvidia cards.

You like to categorize me at your leisure, and I don't much appreciate it.

nekrosoft13 11-02-08 01:29 AM

no harm was intented,

XxDeadlyxX 11-02-08 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1831070)
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone running PowerDVD ever had a compatibility issue with any of their blu-rays?

Yes but there are always new patches released about once a month, newest patch is 2217, and has no issues with any discs including Transformers, Iron Man, etc. For example, the previous patch wouldn't play Iron Man.

Toss3 11-02-08 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1831070)

Nothing besides frameskipping, and remember not to use bd-live even though it should be supported as it almost always results in a powerdvd is not responding error.

Xion X2 11-02-08 09:31 AM

Alright, thanks guys. PowerDVD it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekro
no harm was intented,

Don't worry about it, it's cool. It just appears often that you believe I love everything about ATI and hate everything about Nvidia, which isn't true.

I decided that I'm probably going to purchase either a 9800GTX or GTX260 to use in this HTPC I'm building instead of my X2s. Those cards will run quieter/cooler, and HD support might be a little better.

mullet 11-02-08 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1831273)

I decided that I'm probably going to purchase either a 9800GTX or GTX260 to use in this HTPC I'm building instead of my X2s. Those cards will run quieter/cooler, and HD support might be a little better.

I think I would go with a low end ATI 4000 series.