nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Those cards do not fit my case (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122865)

Ikshaar 11-11-08 03:30 PM

Those cards do not fit my case

Ok, a bit of a rant, a bit of a plea.

So I have an Antec Solo case... (i have 2 actually) and I love them. Price/cooling/noise/size wise, I found them to be the best compromise. But of course all new model of GTX200 are so long they cannot fit in.

I wanted a GTX260-216 but I have a GTS 8800 640Mb so I guess I can wait for another generation of graphic card, but I am hoping nVidia stops that ridiculous tendency to make card longer and longer.

I only have ONE card and ONE disk in my whole case so I don't need a bigger case. I need nVidia to start thinking of a card design that does not require me to buy a new case each time I want to upgrade my video card.

jcrox 11-11-08 03:40 PM

Re: Those cards do not fit my case

It's not like they design the card and then say "hey... we need to add 3 or 4 inches on to this card so it looks bigger."

They pack everything they can on to the smallest board they can.

Ikshaar 11-11-08 03:55 PM

I understand that.. but are we going to have 2 feet long video card in 5 years ? They cannot keep increasing the length of the card indefinitely.

I know those are high-end card but, same as what happened for the 8800, it makes less easy for people to upgrade, therefore less people buy it. If you force people to buy a whole new computer each time, they don't upgrade... they wait.

PS: don't flame me but I just discover that the Radeon 4870 is much shorter. Have been long time nVidia user but this might push me over the edge.

saturnotaku 11-11-08 04:09 PM

New case != whole new computer.

Riptide 11-11-08 05:16 PM

No but new case does = PITA.

IMO anyway. Especially if you agonize over cable management.

Capt. Picard 11-11-08 05:22 PM

I don't have this problem. Because I don't have money to buy either.

bob saget 11-11-08 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Picard (Post 1841973)
I don't have this problem. Because I don't have money to buy either.

oh well, as long as you have money to post semi-humorous jokes, you are good value picard :D

bob saget 11-11-08 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrox (Post 1841808)
It's not like they design the card and then say "hey... we need to add 3 or 4 inches on to this card so it looks bigger."

They pack everything they can on to the smallest board they can.

+1

Jas28 11-11-08 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikshaar (Post 1841835)
I understand that.. but are we going to have 2 feet long video card in 5 years ? They cannot keep increasing the length of the card indefinitely.

I know those are high-end card but, same as what happened for the 8800, it makes less easy for people to upgrade, therefore less people buy it. If you force people to buy a whole new computer each time, they don't upgrade... they wait.

PS: don't flame me but I just discover that the Radeon 4870 is much shorter. Have been long time nVidia user but this might push me over the edge.

Yes, the 4870 is shorter....but the 2 PCI-E power plugs plug into the back of a 4870, while the GTX plugs in from the top. This will add some extra length...something to keep in mind. Look at the 4850x2...that is longer than anything every made.....they just keep getting longer.

SLippe 11-11-08 09:15 PM

My 9800GTX barely fit into my Alienware case. Good thing the two PCI-E connectors are on the front instead of the end or else I wouldn't have made it. The end of the card is about 1/8 of an inch from my hard drive bay. Close call! (omg)

Are the GTX 260/280 cards the same length or even longer than the 9800GTX?

Jas28 11-11-08 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLippe (Post 1842181)
My 9800GTX barely fit into my Alienware case. Good thing the two PCI-E connectors are on the front instead of the end or else I wouldn't have made it. The end of the card is about 1/8 of an inch from my hard drive bay. Close call! (omg)

Are the GTX 260/280 cards the same length or even longer than the 9800GTX?

Pretty sure they are the same length......

hemmy 11-12-08 12:47 AM

Ya, same length.

My 260 has about this much room in my case ||