nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Never again will I buy DRM (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123160)

aceflier 11-15-08 08:25 PM

Never again will I buy DRM

What a load...

Ok, today I got new drivers so i figure I will run the warhead benchmark.

Nope! Says I can not run game to many installations please uninstall the game and purchase a new key!

Well I say screw that, I have only installed this game 1 time on release day.

DRM=FAIL and I'm pretty pissed off.

Any suggestions?

|MaguS| 11-15-08 08:32 PM

Re: Never again will I buy DRM

I think your full of ****... sorry... If you have only ever installed this title once then someone has taken your game and installed it on other machines.

Anyway, call or write EA to provide more installs. I never have been turned down when making a request.

aceflier 11-15-08 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1846168)
I think your full of ****... sorry... If you have only ever installed this title once then someone has taken your game and installed it on other machines.

Anyway, call or write EA to provide more installs. I never have been turned down when making a request.

Sorry no I'm not. I have this on my computer only. No no and no. And if you want proof of when it was installed I can post a damn screenshot of the freegin folder dated 9/18/2008.

I own 2 computers and it has ONLY been installed on this computer.

|MaguS| 11-15-08 08:43 PM

OK well then contact EA. I have installed some Direct 2 Drive titles over 8 times due to problems (specifically Oblivion with mod causing corruptions) and never had an issue. I'm sure EA will be the same (never experienced any issues with them either).

*magic* 11-23-08 09:01 AM

just use a no activation crack.
I installed the game twice and with the crack I didnt use any activation at all.

nekrosoft13 11-23-08 10:27 AM

drivers don't casue drm to act, so you are full of it ;)

NarcissistZero 11-23-08 10:50 AM

Not only should you have 5 installs or whatever, not just 1, but it should also remove an install if you uninstall the game.

I've had my whole computer crash exactly once in the 15 years I have used them, so I'm not too worried about not being able to uninstall games, therefore the limit thing doesn't bother me.

The only thing I hate about install limits is having to uninstall everything if I want to reformat.

SJA06 11-23-08 01:04 PM

I have no idea if he is BSing or not, but I have had to reactivate FSX after updating chipset drivers, as it seemed to consider it a change of hardware... so this sort of thing may be possible with other DRM configurations, which is worrying.

Edit: to add, it only does this if I have reverted to MS IDE drivers and then back to nvidia drivers.

NarcissistZero 11-23-08 01:39 PM

That is worrying... I have never had something reactivate beause of a simple driver update... that would be a bad sign, if it happened.

Even then though, the guy should have a few more activations ready.

aceflier 11-23-08 02:30 PM

Well, my ongoing attempts to contact EA via email have got me nowhere.

All I get is an automated response saying thank you please purchase another copy of Crysis Warhead. :thumbdwn: Anyone know EA's phone number in US? I cant find it anywhere.

I will add I was having some slow boot times so I did do quite a bit of tinkering with the OS. I noticed my bootloader was not showing under advanced system settings so I put the vista DVD in and recovered boot loader.

About the chipset drivers I did install those 20's then back to the 15's then used driver cleaner and used the microsoft driver till I noticed my Nforce driver wasnt installed then I reinstalled the 15's again.

If that caused it then DRM can really go to hell.

I just did a reformat of vista64. As nothing helped with my slow boot times (about 4 minutes)

I was pretty well through playing the game itself and all I used it for was benchmarking new drivers. If I want to play it ever again I will use alternate methods of installation. ;) (Another issue of a paying customer getting screwed by Copy protection)

Weather the lot of you believe me or not I really dont care. But, the problem is happening. This post on the first page of mycrysis.com...

http://www.mycrysis.com/thread.php?threadid=38926

Gluck to anyone else this happens to.

mailman2 11-24-08 10:03 AM

I had alot of problems with DRM in Stalker Clear Sky. I was locked out the day it was launched. Drivers CAN trigger a re-activation - nekro sometimes you're such an tool, you really need to get outside of your little cave once in awhile. Just because it hasnt happened in your limited experience doesn't mean that is doesn't it cant happen at all. One time with a driver re-installation I had to use another activation but the fact remains it CAN happen.

DRM sucks plain and simple. And when it doesn't work right it's usually a huge problem. GSC and Steam wouldn't help me, finally threatened legal action for a refund, they finally just refunded me and blacklisted my key. When buying and playing legitimate games becomes this much of a PITA and it's easier for a pirate to play a game then something is definitely wrong in the industry. Keep fighting with EA, demand a refund then and keep demanding until they refund you. When DRM fails like this, they need to know - and they need to know the next time around you won't be a paying customer of theirs...

nekrosoft13 11-24-08 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 1854327)
I had alot of problems with DRM in Stalker Clear Sky. I was locked out the day it was launched. Drivers CAN trigger a re-activation - nekro sometimes you're such an tool, you really need to get outside of your little cave once in awhile. Just because it hasnt happened in your limited experience doesn't mean that is doesn't it cant happen at all. One time with a driver re-installation I had to use another activation but the fact remains it CAN happen.

easy Joe, heel.

Quote:

Well I say screw that, I have only installed this game 1 time on release day.
game installed once, driver change and he used all 5 activations, sure.